Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Is anyone able to help?

As much as I can, @Historylover . I tell the government what's wrong and what needs to be done whenever I find a pertinant inquiry going on. I don't always have the strength for it - composing responses to those things is a very sickening exercise that lingers in the system - but I try to respond as much as I can.

But is there anything you are doing for yourself @chibam?  Like learning something new.

I have a passion for extending my knowledge base on a variety of subjects - anything I would once have considered too difficult.  I like to challenge myself.  Currently it's chemistry.  Youtube has some very good tutors/tutorials on an enormous range of subjects.  Just about anything. I wish I'd discovered it earlier but I haven't always had a broadband connection.

I don't know how you find all of these inquiries.  I hope they are paying attention.  Perhaps we need a 'me too' revolution on the neglect, abuse and failures of the so-called 'mental health' system.

You sound 'down' @chibam  I hope you are not feeling as low as me.  Stay well.

@Historylover wrote:

But is there anything you are doing for yourself @chibam?  Like learning something new.

I like watching movies. Especially the great classics. Just recently, Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade was on TV and I was once again struck by what a perfect movie it is; so funny, so thrilling, so awesome. RIP Sean Connery.Smiley Sad

Learning is a toxic process for me. Put simply, the more I learn, the more I resent being alive, and the more useless I feel. I've actually had some limited success trying to develop techniques to erase and/or overwrite the things I've learned in the past, but I don't know if or how I can refine them any further.

@Historylover wrote:

I don't know how you find all of these inquiries.

To be perfectly honest, it's mostly dumb luck. Occasionally I stuble upon a tweet or news article that alludes to some ongoing inquiry; though more often then not, these only alert me to an inquiry well after it's already been concluded. Some of them get significant press, such as the Victorian Royal Inquiry and the Productivity Commission Inquiry.

The suicide prevention inquiry that I mentioned recently came to my attention via a footnote on a mailing-list email I recieved from "Australians For Mental Health". There was another "mental health"-themed inquiry mentioned there too, but I spent so much time on the suicide prevention one that I didn't have enough time left over to do anything proper about the second inquiry.

The parliament house website has a list of some of the government inquiries that are going on at any given time. I pop in there from time-to-time - probably not as often as I ought to.

@Historylover wrote:

You sound 'down' @chibam  I hope you are not feeling as low as me.  Stay well.

Perhaps not so much 'down' as 'burn out'. But I appreciate the well-wishes. Smiley Happy

So pleased you enjoy the old movies so much @chibam.  I watched an old movie recently and found it so interesting because it actually had a story line and wasn't dependent so much on effects - violence etc.  It's amazing how much movies have evolved.  I don't watch too many myself.  

I am amazed that you have such an aversion to learning!  You are so eloquent - and intelligent - and your ability to express yourself is extremely impressive.  I read one of your old posts recently and found myself laughing out loud at your humour and your turn of phrase. Your ability to express yourself in all situations is admirable.  You have also made a wide range of observations and developed great insight but your school years were regrettable, it seems.  I look back on mine and have to question how many of my teachers got their jobs.  Absolutely appalling.  I do just fine teaching myself any subject I choose these days and have found that I am not the person I was when I was in school.  I have more potential than I could have ever dreamed.  For me, that is a very healing process.

I had a quick look in at "Australians for Mental Health" and subscribed to it.  I'll be looking into it further.  I'll look into the Parliament House site tomorrow and if you can recommend any others I would be most interested in checking them out.

Sorry you're feeling burnt out.  I understand that.  I hope trying to navigate relationships - with me - for instance, isn't contributing too much to it.  Relationships are difficult.  One subject I'll probably never master.   I try.  

Hi @Historylover Smiley Happy.

Actually, my school days were a bit of a mixed bag. I used to regard them very fondly, but I've since come to realize that almost all of the good stuff was just a fiction that I'd talked myself into believing. I hold on to the fiction; I don't really remember - or care to remember - the rest of it.

@Historylover wrote:

I had a quick look in at "Australians for Mental Health" and subscribed to it.  I'll be looking into it further.  I'll look into the Parliament House site tomorrow and if you can recommend any others I would be most interested in checking them out.

IMHO, "Australians for Mental Health" is an okay movement; not great. I signed on to their mailing list years ago, back when it seemed like they were the only organization who were even close to acknowledging that the mental health system has some severe problems. They've always been chiefly oriented towards the "the system needs more money to be what Australians need" agenda, with comparitively little interest in the fact that the system's ethics and conduct are far more grievous problems then it's financial issues. However, I get the impression that gradually they seem to be growing more attentive to the system's character flaws.

I stay on the mailing list mostly just incase they bring anything of interest to light; but I'm not really involved with them.

@Historylover wrote:

Sorry you're feeling burnt out.  I understand that.  I hope trying to navigate relationships - with me - for instance, isn't contributing too much to it.  Relationships are difficult.  One subject I'll probably never master.   I try.  

Navigate relationships, yes; with you, no. Smiley Happy As you say, they are difficult. But we live in hope for ones that will be intuitive and rewarding.

Well another week done and dusted.  Shopping done, lunch had and chocolate and a few other confections indulged in.  I indulge myself occasionally.  I'm feeling upbeat today.  Had an online 'growth' meeting last night.  I have tried them over a few nights to see if any are better than others.  I'm just trying to find myself at the moment - finding where I am supposed to fit!  (Still looking!)  I have found that I just don't agree with the basic tenets of that organization as a whole.  It seems to me that we are supposed to feel that we have done something wrong and have to find a way to change - to clear out our hearts (for god's sake!)  Most of the session is based on rigamarole and as I see it - greater benefit would be had just relating to each other.  If people need to talk about something - they should certainly do so - but like here, there are also ways to 'socialize' in these 'help' settings and many of us need that as much.  It is restorative!

At this stage I won't be returning to any online zoom meetings - or even the face-to-face brunch.  Nice people but I don't fit in any of the groups I have met with to date.  Except here.  I have derived a great deal of solice, friendship and decency here and have enjoyed my time here very much.  Actually I hadn't thought it would be of much help to me at all but, to my surprise, I have come back to it time and time again.  Live and learn!  I have come a long way in a short time and am very grateful for that.  

I attended a face-to-face meeting last weekend and it was structured that way - social and support.  Coffee and brunch.  It was a fantastic meeting and everything was talked about.  But it made me realize this with fuller detail:  family is the only place any of us truly fit.  To my mind, when we have family we don't really need friends - they are just acquaintances - where they exist - an added side benefit,  but if we have friends without family we are lost and always looking for where we fit in - and we always had it and simply didn't know it.  There is no substitute for family.  For those who truly have none - these would be absorbed into other 'families'.  This revelation  is a work in progress.  Any thoughts?

This feeds into psychiatry and its allied fields also.  Most patients in these settings have family problems.  I don't think I've ever found exceptions.  How can therapists heal a patient when their family - immediate and extended - their tribe - where they truly belong - is in turmoil?   This is an enormous familial and social issue as much as a medical issue - in my opinion.  Everyone seems to be looking for friends when family is what they truly need.  Families looking out for each other.  United we stand - divided we fall.  Throwing money at any problem fixes nothing.  

(You don't have to agree with all of my opinions on these matters but I'd be interested in your opinion.) 

Well - that is my soap-box for now.  Be happy @chibam   You have been something of a 'rock' to me here - as have many others.

@Historylover wrote:

family is the only place any of us truly fit.  To my mind, when we have family we don't really need friends - they are just acquaintances - where they exist - an added side benefit,  but if we have friends without family we are lost and always looking for where we fit in - and we always had it and simply didn't know it.  There is no substitute for family.  For those who truly have none - these would be absorbed into other 'families'.  This revelation  is a work in progress.  Any thoughts?

I very much agree. I would only add a clarification (and maybe this was your intended meaning anyway?) that "family" can't be defined by biological ties as we currantly tend to do. I'm not saying that biological relatives can't be family, but being a biological relative - even an immediate one - doesn't necessarily mean that someone is family.

IMHO, Family is about commonality of soul, not commonality or compatability of DNA, or even prolonged physical proximity.

@Historylover wrote:

This feeds into psychiatry and its allied fields also.  Most patients in these settings have family problems.  I don't think I've ever found exceptions.  How can therapists heal a patient when their family - immediate and extended - their tribe - where they truly belong - is in turmoil?   This is an enormous familial and social issue as much as a medical issue - in my opinion.  Everyone seems to be looking for friends when family is what they truly need.  Families looking out for each other.  United we stand - divided we fall.  Throwing money at any problem fixes nothing. 

This was such a huge part of my terrible ordeal with the system. How often was I promised: "reach out to a professional. There is help available!"? Only to learn that it was always a very deliberate lie.

I was alone. I had no family (relatives, yes; family, no). When you are alone without a family, a guarantee of "help" means: "We will unite you with your family!" Only to be teased and tormented by a therapist for 7 damn years, and then to learn a vouple years after the fact that: "the golden rule of therapy is to not offer patients any actual assistance with their problems, or even meaningful advice."

And I certainly agree about the money bit. You'd be amazed how deeply obsessed my therapist was with money and how heavilly she kept pushing it as the answer to all my problems. But to be fair, she isn't the only one I've encountered with that fixation. I've never been able to crack the riddle of how to communicate with such people with such bizarre priorities, or even figure out whether there is anything to gain by succeeding.

In a nutshell, I agree with you completely! Smiley Happy

@Historylover wrote:

Nice people but I don't fit in any of the groups I have met with to date.  Except here.  I have derived a great deal of solice, friendship and decency here and have enjoyed my time here very much.  Actually I hadn't thought it would be of much help to me at all but, to my surprise, I have come back to it time and time again.  Live and learn!  I have come a long way in a short time and am very grateful for that.

Glad to hear it! Smiley Very Happy

@Historylover wrote:

Well - that is my soap-box for now.  Be happy @chibam   You have been something of a 'rock' to me here - as have many others.

Aww. Thank you! Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Very Happy

Another week under our belts @chibam.  What a mess!  That ex-psy really did a good job of totally messing up my life - as was his intent.  I have absolutely nowhere to turn.  To think I was so trusting of him.  He must have really enjoyed that.  It beggars belief that such people exist in that profession, and those who are supposed to fix this broken system, if they consult with them, will be hood-winked  too - probably convince them to make more of them available at greater cost.  After all, we are all so difficult to treat.   

Words almost fail me at this time.  I now fully realize who he really was and also that I will never see my own family again.  To restore my family - no matter how long it took - had been my greatest concern and he let me believe it would happen.  Reality has sunk in on that situation too.  No-one has ever been in my corner. Ever.

Now I feel that I will probably attend more of those zoom online and face-to-face group meetings.  I just don't know what to do.  Perhaps the only place we do get real help is on sites like these where we do our best to support each other.  

I am anticipating a housing difficulty in the future.  Not a lot left to destroy my life other than that - so he will have set that up too.  He has set up my life for failure and I am now walking through the mess every day waiting to see what happens next.   

I get the feeling that you have a home of your own - or at least housing security.  If so, you have at least one less problem than me.  I am renting from an agent as a result of his financial advice - 30 years, immaculately maintained, never late with rent - but that security can change on the agent's whim. 

I am trying to survive his malicious intentions.  I know I can't but survival is our primary instinct.

They still make that "reach out - there is help available" claim.  Obviously they have never been in need of help.  The only help they offer sees us systematically slide down the social ladder to a point where they can look down their noses at us.  I had a look at the government's site and found it explained in colourful cartoon characters.  And one futile link lead to another.  In my opinion, they see giving advice with no follow-up as doing their job.  I couldn't take a job like that.  I don't think any of us here could.  I can spend hours on the computer looking for answers and the only thing it achieves is that it has got me through another day.

So - how has your day been @chibam?  You've given up on so-called 'therapy' too?  How I would love a dedicated therapist of any kind - someone in the real world with skill, integrity and a mutual disdain of this 'profession'.  How many would I have to sieve through to find a good one?  I wouldn't then have to off-load on those who have problems of their own.  It's just not fair.

Lovely sunny day here today.  Perhaps I'll go for a walk and get some sunshine.  Take care.

Hi @Historylover .

I'll probably have to make this just a quick reply as I'm running short on time.

I'm very sorry to hear about your housing worries. I'm afraid I don't really know anything about solving housing problems, so I can't offer you any advice.Smiley Sad I can only offer my best wishes that wherever you end up, there is family there; a home, not just a house.

I agree with you about the broken cycle of government leaning on the crooked therapists to provide the advice about what needs to be done for "mentally ill people" - which of course, only makes the system even worse. But I am cautiously optimistic that things might be starting to change, with the large amount of recent calls to make "consumer input" the key element of future policy design.

Yes, I most definitely have given up on "therapy" - at least until the system changes into one that is designed to offer real, effective help to it's patients.

As for my day: it's actually been pretty rotten. I've done something silly to my ankle (not sure what) and it's been swollen and painful all weekend; almost impossible to hobble on, let alone walk. And it's that sort of pain that shoots right through your entire body, you know? So, it's fair to say I've been feeling just plain lousy these past 24hrs or so.

Once again, sorry for the rushed reply, but I just wanted you to know that I read your post and agree with what you say very much. Smiley Happy

Thanks for taking the time to reply @chibam   Sorry I lean on you a bit too much sometimes.  I'll give you a break and if I don't hear from you before then I send best wishes and hope you have a nice xmas. 

Sorry to hear about your ankle.  Sounds like you should have it checked?

Sending best wishes.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance