Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Is anyone able to help?

Hello again @chibam  Gosh! How things can change at the drop of a hat!  I had dropped in just to let everyone know that I was doing alright despite everything.  It isn't easy, but I was plodding on, taking up new challenges.  Considerable progress had been made, I thought - with my U3A etc.  I thought my message might reach one or two others who often feel like giving up and encourage them to just keep going.  There are always inevitable setbacks along the way which make us again think it isn't worth continuing - but it is!  There are places for us all if we just get out of our comfort zone!!  Take up a new challenge, try something new.  My post was in continuation with my relationship with previous posters who have been my salvation - and anyone else who may feel some alignment.  I was trying to say I'm doing alright in previously unknown territory - and 'you' - generally speaking - can too.

AussieRecharger's response just made me angry and I'm not sorry for expressing it.  It had nothing to do with what I was trying to convey and I felt it ill-considered, and, as far as I was concerned, completely off topic.  Others may think otherwise.  I am sorry if he thought he was adding something helpful to the conversation.  Sometimes I have tried to help others who have attacked me - not literally - in response, too.  I guess we all have to learn where our input is relevant and appropriate.  I wish him well.  He is more than welcome to add to our conversation at any time.

You have said previously that you don't get the concept of 'finding oneself'.  I consider it to be simply finding out that we are not the less capable person we assumed ourselves, demanding more of ourselves, challenging ourselves - and finding it by stepping out of our comfort zone.  Constantly learning new things.  Getting out of our rut! That our potential is enormous and to waste it is a waste of our lives!

To know myself of several decades ago to who I am now is like chalk and cheese.  I would never have thought such change possible.  I just want others to know the same is possible for them.  I could have just continued along the same path - and looked back at stagnation, at best.  I'm so grateful that I did not.

I don't consider that I am trying to make others want what I want.  I consider that I am trying to inspire them to also want it for themselves.  To know that so much more is possible.  

You have said that you have known educated people who are very unhappy.  I am paraphrasing so that I don't have to stop and find your other post to check, but I think that was your message.  Unhappy people come from all walks of life.  I know educated people who can't wait to get out of bed each day for the exhiliaration of their professions.  It exhiliarates me too.  

U3A has been harrowing.  It sometimes seems that I am the only new person there.  It has made me realize, for the first time, the difficulties children face when they have to change schools.  It has taxed me to the extreme - trying to find my place in the group, remember people's names, learning, sometimes, that I am not as clever as I thought I was (shock!) - and sometimes more so.  I am also volunteering at reception twice a month.  Learning who I can trust.  Getting to know and understand people. Being part of a team in a new environment.

As I said, I feel like quitting every other day as it really is exhausting me emotionally and also physically.  But I have taken up this challenge and giving up is not an option.  

I WILL survive!!

Hope you are well.

Re: Is anyone able to help?

Well, @Historylover , I mightn't agree with much of what you say, but I'm glad you've found something that works for you. Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance