Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // World Bipolar Day with Bipolar Australia // Tues 29th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

yes i so agree with what you said @SusanaBA my partner and i have been told not to speak about suicide but it is so important to have someone there when you need them most, i have saved my partner so many times when she was so low, just letting her know i was there for her made all the difference. 

it can be so difficult seeing someone hurting so much and can be so frighteneing when you see how moods can change so fast. 

luckily my partner is a bit more stable these days but she still has up and down days.

Re: Topic Tuesday // World Bipolar Day with Bipolar Australia // Tues 29th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Question 2: There are some key differences in diagnosis are really important to know, especially if you are questioning if you have Bipolar or supporting a loved one seeking a diagnosis. 

a) What are the differences between Bipolar 1, Bipolar 2 and Bipolar 3?

The difference between Bipolar 1 and Bipolar 2 is the severity of the episodes. People with Bipolar one can experience full mania, and possibly psychosis (that is different to schizophrenia). You can also experience deep depression, even after having no symptoms. Even after 20 years, I had a very serious depressive episode that came out of nowhere. 

People with Bipolar 2 experience depression but very rarely get to mania. They experience hypomania (hypo is greek for less than) which is a milder form of mania. Sometimes friends and family think you’re just a very happy person. 

Bipolar 3 is also called cyclothymia, and is characterized by more even cycles. Every day you might see the world in a grey colour. 

For me it was very similar to how it was described here earlier. Episodes of severe depression in early 20ies but no help received. Then life changing event, moving country,  20 years later Episodes of mania and depression rapidly changing and diagnosed with bipolar 1. Since 2018 things have been pretty calm until recently when I lost the ability to sleep and feeling manic. I am surprised as I have beenbtaking all my  medications regularly.  Why this sudden change in condition?

Hi everyone
I have spoken to my psychologist about whether I may be.
I'm unsure in the end.

could you expand on Bipolar 3 please @SusanaBA , i have never formally been diagnosed so i don't know where i fit into the bipolar spectrum. 

My psychiatrist says that I have Bipolar Affective Disorders and has previously said I have Bipolar 2. What is the difference between the 2? 

Hi @Jacques, thanks for the question. Sorry I am a bit slow to respond.

It depends on the person and the situation. But listening and having open communication with them can help. Gently helping them realise they are are unwell, and encourage them to look after themselves. Try to help them minimise impulsive behaviours. Try not to get into any arguments. A calm environment is best.

Sleep is very important so helping them get regular sleep.

If their on medication, make sure they stay on medication.

Avoid alcohol, caffeine and other stimulates.

Try to get them to contact support services, psychologist, social workers etc.

If you think things are getting serious: contact an emergency helpline such as Lifeline 13 11 14, or call the Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467

Recovery is easier to talk about when you are well as you are able to develop strategies together that will help you through the more difficult times.

@Jacques talking about suicide is indeed really difficult 💛 It sounds like you've done your best to support your partner through the lows. I'm wondering what supports you have in place for yourself whilst caring for her?

I believe we may be sharing some resources for carers later tonight too 😊

Welcome @MDT and @HungryHippo !

@cloudcore Here is my response

a) What are the differences between Bipolar 1, Bipolar 2 and Bipolar 3?

Those living with Bipolar I disorder may experience both hypomania and mania episodes. Those living with bipolar II disorder will only experience hypomanic episodes.

People are diagnosed with Bipolar I disorder if they meet criteria for a manic episode lasting at least 7 days or with manic symptoms so severe that you need immediate hospital care.

People are diagnosed with Bipolar II disorder if they meet criteria for a hypomanic episode. The depressive episodes in people living with bipolar II disorder are often more frequent and lengthier than those occurring in bipolar I disorder. Therefore, bipolar II disorder is not simply a "milder" form, when compared to bipolar I disorder. Bipolar I disorder may experience depression 32% of the time, whilst those with bipolar II disorder experience depression 53% of the time.

Cyclothymia, also known as Bipolar III disorder, involves milder forms of hypomanic and depressive symptoms that are not as intense or long-lasting.

In hypomania, episode symptoms are the same as mania, but the duration is different (at least 4 days) and the episode is not severe enough to cause problems functioning, psychosis or require hospitalisation. However, hypomania may impair functioning for some people.

It’s important to be able to tell the difference between hypomania and mania when monitoring for symptoms. Hypomania is often overlooked because it is associated with positive experiences. A person with Bipolar II might only report with symptoms of depression and not see hypomania as a problem.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance