Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // World Bipolar Day with Bipolar Australia // Tues 29th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Just to add to this @cloudcore 

There is typically a delay of diagnosis of about 10 years and people usually seek out help from health professionals with symptoms of depression. Hypomania and mania are often not seen as problems as they can be associated with positive experiences.

First episodes of mania or hypomania often occur during the 20s, however people can develop bipolar disorder at any age. Major life events and stressful situations are associated with subsequent mood swings and can be the precursor to a mood episode. Stress is one of the most common triggers for people with bipolar disorder.

Bipolar disorder requires lifetime management, but it is also highly treatable. With the right treatments, lifestyle changes, talk therapy, medication, and support from friends and family, many people with the condition can live with minimal impact on their daily functioning.

Re: Topic Tuesday // World Bipolar Day with Bipolar Australia // Tues 29th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

hi @Moodwisehub welcome to SANE forums 🙂

my question is when someone is having an episode high or low, what is the best way to support them throguh the worst of it. ie spending money, feeling suicidal, etc? and what are things one should avoid saying?

Hi everyone, so great to be here!

Here is a little bit about me: Upon recovering from my personal bipolar experience, I became an educator, speaker and the leader of a bipolar peer-support group. In 202, I received the Advocate of the Year Award from the Mental Health Australian Foundation. I have a Degree in Early Childhood and Primary Education and believe that education is crucial to eliminate social stigma and self-stigma attached to bipolar. In 2014, I founded Bipolar Australia, a not-for-profit organization in the country exclusively dedicated to bipolar disorders, promoting public awareness, establishing support groups, fighting stigma, publishing booklets like "Coming Home with Bipolar - Information for Families and Carers" and during the pandemic "Staying Home with Bipolar", and producing webinars and courses.   

Look forward to speaking with you tonight

sorry i should have mentioned you too in my question @SusanaBA 

Question 1: What is Bipolar and what does the recovery journey look like?

From my own experience, I was misdiagnosed the first time I knew something was different. I was in the United States and diagnosed with schizophrenia when I asked for help in my early 20s. I was given the wrong medications and it resulted in at least a year of very dark depression. 

The recovery journey can be very long, because Doctors cannot always recognise episodes. Sometimes bipolar can look like regular depression, because it’s not always obvious someone has experienced mania. 

Bipolar disorder is a mental illness where there’s an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. Not many people like to talk about that, but there are physical, psychological, environmental and social factors. All these factors need to be considered together in order to achieve management and recovery. 

I would be interested to hear from you, what has been your experience of Bipolar Disorder?

from personal experience, I prefer someone to keep me company, remind me to take things slowly and to expect that this is a temporary state of our illness. And to ask about what skills we have to cope through the worst

@Jacques wrote:

hi @Moodwisehub welcome to SANE forums 🙂

my question is when someone is having an episode high or low, what is the best way to support them throguh the worst of it. ie spending money, feeling suicidal, etc? and what are things one should avoid saying?

From my experience of supporting others @Jacques, I try to understand where they are at in their journey. Are they in a place to be able to talk together? Where are they at in their recovery?

Talking about suicide is so important, and if you are supporting a loved one it is an important conversation to have. When I talk to someone who is thinking about suicide, I will ask if they are thinking about suicide and if they have a plan. Asking these clear questions can help others feel safe and supported. I share my lived experience too to demonstrate to others that thoughts of suicide can be the illness talking, and while it is hard I have been through this myself, and let them know there is a way through. I relate to let people know that I know what they are going through and build trust.

While it can be hard to ask the questions, it is so important. 

Question 2: There are some key differences in diagnosis are really important to know, especially if you are questioning if you have Bipolar or supporting a loved one seeking a diagnosis. @Moodwisehub @SusanaBA 

a) What are the differences between Bipolar 1, Bipolar 2 and Bipolar 3?

b) We often hear questions about the differences between schizophrenia, bipolar and schizoaffective disorder, can you explain the differences?

Hi @Quilly ,

Thank you for sharing. This is so important to know that it is 'temporary', and our the illness, not the person. 

It's also good to note that having company works for you.

Do you think knowing what works for your is important? (As this is different for everyone?)

Welcome @Quilly and @greenpea 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance