Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

JayL
Contributor

Sometimes it all gets a bit too much

Had a panic attack recently at work and took a couple days off last week. Saw my psychiatrist who has changed some medications and I've increased my usual dose of medication for depression and anxiety. He did reccomend I take the week off next week, but financially that just isn't possible.

Occupying my mind watching things on tv, books and going through the forums. Trying not to think too much about going back to work on Monday. Hoping I won't get panic attacks tomorrow.  

Anyone else out there with BPD / DID? How are you guys dealing with all the covid changes. I'm not doing too well but hopefully things will improve. Still gets lonely with isolation.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Sometimes it all gets a bit too much

Hi @JayL

Just wanted to let you know that I read your post and welcome you to the forum.

Panic attacks are the pits. Really exhausting. How's the tv and reading going?

I am feeling the loneliness with the covid restrictions, too but trying to maintain hope. There are some really supportive people here who have helped me a lot.

I don't have BPD / DID but I'll tag you in the Introduce Yourself Here thread, and hopefully you can meet some more people.

Take care

Hello and welcome @JayL Heart

if you put the DID or the BPD in the search the forum . all the threads with those words in it will come up for you 

@Smc@outlander@BlueBay 

Panic attacks are the pits. , i agree , my mr shaz has them too 

hey @JayL
I have BPD so may be able to relate to you as well. panic attacks are really hard to manage but im glad you have your psychiatrist there.
have you also considered speaking to a psychologist to come up with some more coping strategies and help worth through whats bothering you?

Hey thanks for replying, makes me feel less alone.
Yeah I do see a psychologist regularly, sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't.

With the mixture of medications and therapy I was hoping to be "cured" already. Sometimes just feels like an uphill battle and life throwing things at ya.

At present trying to change my perspective, look for the positives and expand my capacity to cope. Some days are harder than others.

@JayL 

just a little tip , put a @ in front of members names so they can get your message and reply to you xx

@outlander 

im glad you see a psychologist as well @JayL
I found the same thing with psychologists sometimes they help sometimes not but that's ok.
unforunatly I don't think theres a cure for BPD just because its classed as a chronic condition however we can learn to manage our symptoms.
i use to focus on 'curing' but now i focus on management. it can be so very frustrating and very slow progress but there is hope in making those positive steps forward.
we all have our ups and downs though no matter what our mh condition is or even if we have one.

have you found things that work for you pretty well? im happy to share some of the things that are helpful to me as well.

@Sans911 is pretty good with these things too and has BPD, maybe she can offer some advice as well.

also please feel free to have a look around and join into where you feel comfortable. and a little forum tip is to put an @ before a members name, this way itll tag them and that member will receive a notification from you.
hope this helps abit

ah you beat me to the tagging help this time @Shaz51 lol

Hi @JayL 

I see you've met a couple of my forum 'sisters' @Shaz51 and @@outlander.

I don't want to dishearten you but like outlander has mentioned it's hard to say there's a 'cure' for BPD. There are certainly many people who no longer meet any of the criteria so I guess they are cured. Rather, most of us go on a journey of self discovery, coping strategies and behaviour modifications that help us function better and cope with upheavals and uncertainty. There is much hope, but a lot of work for those of us with BPD.

I like to see myself not defined by my mental illnesses (I also have severe depression & anxiety) by rather its a part of me that is out of balance. There is much, much more to me that is unique and special (shite, did I just say nice things about myself 😐). I'm adventurous, creative, compassionate, caring, thoughtful (and I'll stop there). What special & unique qualities do you have?

I've not had many panic attacks, but I know they're awful and debilitating. Have you discussed any coping skills or strategies with your pyschologist? I think that's something you need to put in place as soon as possible. And perhaps a discussion about what triggered the attack? What were you fearful of? I believe once we know why we react to something, and understand what happened, we are in a much better position to prepare for it if it happens again.

@outlander @Sans911 thanks for all your messages guys.

Still haven't talked to my psychologist yet about the panic attack but will do when I see her next.

Downloaded some mindfulness and mediation apps. Find that reading and writing helps, hence joining the forums. Other than that haven't found much other strategies. Used to be able to go out and do something to distract myself.

At the moment I'm finding it hard to think what is special or unique about me..perhaps caring, loyal, trustworthy.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance