Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Texas
Casual Contributor

How to I control my eating

I was bulemic many years ago in my 20's, I'm now in my 50's and I'm Ok when I'm busy but now being at home all the time and no work to focus on I find I just reach for food constantly.  I know it doesn't sound like a big deal but it really gets me down because I literally cant stop eating especially in the evenings and I feel quite digusted in my self and often feel sickj and full even thougth I want to keep shovelling food in (I hide it from my flat mate).  I am quite lonely and I'm on an anti depressant which has helped a lot with my anxety and depression.  If anyone has this issue and has any tips on hwo to cope that woudl be great thankyou.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How to I control my eating

Hi @Texas 

I suffer from a disorder which involves excessive eating. I can eat so much do quickly. I too shove the food in. I feel disgusted ashamed and hate myself for doing it. 
ive spoken time my psychologist and dietitian. They are both very helpful. 
I need to wirk on my emotional state when wanting to eat excessively. It's a long road but I'm going to try. 

Do you see anyone for this?

Thanks BlueBay, I see a psychologist who helps we with my trauma and BPD but she says she doesn't have experience with food.  They gave a program at the Melb Clinic but it's a full day program and I can't attend due to work.  I also see a psychiatrist every few months as needed for meds so maybe I should talk to her.  I find I'm eating before I even think about it, I know I should meditate or wrote down how I'm thinking/feeling but often m but aware that anything is going on. 

Hi @Texas 

I also have BPD 

you can ask your doctor for a referral to see a dietitian. I see mine through my local hodpital. 
I would try to write down when you're triggered or emotional and want to begin to eat something. There may be a pattern of your thoughts. 
one thing my dietitian suggested was to go for a short walk when I feel like I'm about to eat excessively. 
evdn if it's for 5 mins it resets your brain. 
I know it's not easy to do. I still struggle at times. 
hsve you tried any other supports? 
I would tslk yo your psych snd see ehst they say. 

just a hint - when typing a persons name use this @ symbol before the name. Thst way that person will be notified of a post. 

If you can, drink some water before you go to eat. Then ask yourself how you're feeling. Sometimes just taking that pause and filling my stomach with water helps me. I knit in the evenings, it keeps my hands busy and away from food...

Ok @BlueBay  I really appreciate your ideas and comments

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance