Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: My big news... I think????

@Anastasia 

It does. I think art is fairly common in the MH world. I just wish zi had more uninterrupted quiet time alone at times when I want to do it. Sometimes life can be too demanding. 

Much love to you.& @Maggie xx

@Powderfinger  You are sounding like you are enjoying your art very much. I share that same joy in painting mandalas on almost anything that stays still , long enough to paint.

Take care of yourself.

@Anastasia 👋🏻👋🏻💜💜

@Maggie 

It somewhat takes me away from the horrible things on my mind. I'm feeling angry that no one takes the time to understand why something is important to me. Everyone is always in a hurry. I'm not a hurried person. Some days I just want to block everyone out, tell them to leave me in peace and today is a me day. I feel angry when people need my time, but aren't willing to take the time on what's important to me. 

I've seen many mandalas, never given it a go myself. I imagine they are quite peaceful to do. 

@Powderfinger  I understand what you mean. Is it an invisible feeling ? Invisible when you have a need, but not when others need ,you kind of thing.

I hope your ‘ me’ day was a good one.

I find doing mandalas kind of meditative. Very peaceful. I’m teaching a lady who is 89. She’s loving it.

I had a thought yesterday. You might like to share your art on Re: Craft Corner.Number 4 attempt .its a thread where many of us share our different creations. It inspires others sometimes too. Just a thought, no pressure though.

@Maggie 

I'm.really unsure if it is an invisible feeling. I need more time to decide that. I'm still trying to get used to the fact that feeling angry is OK, that it doesn't make me a bad person for feeling angry or that I'm being selfish thinking about myself. 

I didn't mean a me day was yesterday, I meant including that when telling people to back off. Some days, I just want to be quiet, not necessarily alone but just left to do my own thing without having to go anywhere, think real hard or organise something. 

I'm not sure what I feel. To he only thing j know right now is that it is taking time to work on myself and try understand what's happening with me. I guess there are many times I don't feel safe in talking about my deeper feelings with people. I still have work to do around that. There has been an incredible amount if damage and trauma round that. Shame in the people that dud cruel things in a position of my own vulnerability, exploring that and having no real remorse. 

I hear you about mandalas. It's one if those ageless arts that can be done by just about anyone over the age of 8 up to 100. I bet it's a joy to teach someone.

I actually didn't know that thread was here. I will check it out. Thank you. 

Hope you are doing well. ♥️🌷 

@Powderfinger, how are you going on the chairs?

@Gwynn 

It isn't going. I have had a major setback mentally. Fallen off the horse. Really struggling to want to get back up. Not doing well, nor in a good place. I'm still trying but if I can't, I can't. 

Fair enough, you can't.  I'm sorry to hear that you've been going so poorly.  Glad to hear you are still trying.  Maybe some rest and self care will get you back to a better place. 

@Gwynn 

I'm sorry for the late reply. I did not see this. 

@Gwynn @Maggie @Anastasia @SJT63 

This is the only occasional thing I'm doing that assists as much as it can. 

My long (ish) update on the vintage chairs.

It's been very challenging but enjoyable. I love a challenge when it comes to this and it's awesome when you find a solution that works.

The chairs are roughly 70 - 80 years old. 20-30 years away of being antiques. Came up against a few issues because of the age. The dowel pieces used in the joints were super long with a very deep curved design from top to bottom. You'd really have to hunt around to get dowel pieces as long as them.

Also the glue they used in those days was applied very liberally and the dowel was so dry. Taking the chair apart, meant that there were quite a lot of times I would need to hammer out the joints as much as possible, till I could see the dowel, and unfortunately have to saw it off, leaving the remaining dowel in there. As you can imagine the holes are deep. About double the size of a standard dowel plug. It was either that or risk splitting the wood, which is a more time consuming fix and to be avoided as much as possible.

I've drilled out all the joints of the dowel left behind now, ready for brand spanking new dowel. It's also been a time warp to see the screws of the day in those times. The threads are not much different but the heads are. I'm still thinking about whether I'm going to try get a remake of them for authenticity purposes or if I'm going to go something more current I'll decide later when the chairs are being put back together.

I also have been doing the chairs on my own. I had a sidekick for this job, but they had to bail after day one, so it is just me since then. I finished up at 7 pm on Wednesday night as I also had errands to run and an appt. I always love it when I can get to work again on the chairs.

Finally, they are now ready to go for the sanding, finishing and varnishing!!!!!

Here are the three chairs I started with to make them into two and the current progress. 

The last photo is the sanding I have started on Thursday. what showed up through the sanding/stripping back process is such a beautiful oak. If they were mine, I'd keep that natural colour but the client wants a dark stained oak so can't do that. 

The photos will come through when they are approved. Other than all ,everything is just too much. 

IMG20201209164047.jpg

IMG20201209164119.jpg

IMG20201209164133.jpg

IMG20201210191715.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance