Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Queenie
Community Elder

Why am I invisible to others?

Am I too ordinary? Too beige? It makes me so sad when I try my hardest in RL to have friends and mean something to people, but instead, I am generally forgotten by my family and friends. I have my Mrs, yes, but most of the time she is too busy to pay me much attention.

Don't get me wrong I am not an attention seeking person. Maybe that's my problem? I've been volunteering for ages in a peer support role and while I make sure everyone is equally supported and those in crisis are catered for, others get the thanks instead. Just because I'm not seen as a load of fun and games and tackle the more serious subjects surrounding mental health. It kind of gets me down sometimes, it really does. Just because I take mental health, SI and SH and all the grisly side of mental health seriously. 

In the non-virtual world, I have few real friends. The last so-called friend I had took my credit card without my permission several times and stole money from my account and charged things fraudulently to my card. Generally, she took advantage of me. I find making friends so difficult probably because, in the non-virtual world, I am really shy. I am also forgotten by my family. It has been months now since I last spoke to my Father and although months ago I invited him to lunch, still nothing has come of it. I know they hate me anyway. My Father has even said this to my face and told me he wished I was never born. 

I guess in an extraordinary world we live in today, I sadly do not fit in. 

4 REPLIES 4
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Why am I invisible to others?

Hi @Queenie - i can relate to this a lot, i find it so hard to make friends, some of it is that life is so busy and i just don't have time physically for stuff or child free time etc. some of it is me not trusting enough. not feeling confident enough to not double guess everything i say...
I'm sorry to hear that your friend was not really a friend at all 😞 stealing from you was a terrible betrayal 😞

Hi @Queenie,

I'm really sorry that you have so much trouble forming connections in the real world. I can definitely relate to that. My family and I mutually agreed to part ways thirteen years ago and my last friend walked out of my world in December last year. I super wish I had an answer for you as to how to "fix" the situation, but alas all I can say is that I can relate to the feelings you describe. I am super grateful for the connections I've formed here in Forum Land, and I am super glad that like me, you found your way here. Smiley Happy

Hi @Former-Member and @Phoenix_Rising, I guess it is welcome to the beige club for both of you too? When I was in high school, I knew everyone but had only a handful of people I actually spent time with but now we're older we've sadly grown apart. 

Thanks for making me feel less alone. 

@Queenie and @Former-Member yay for being together in our aloneness. Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance