Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Daisy3
Contributor

Panic

Well
It's 1.56 and I'm having another panic attack I am feeling very much like I want to ring ambulance but I'm trying to convince myself I'm ok

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Panic

Dear Daisy3 

I am sorry  things appear  to be   tough for you right now.  Panic attacks can be very diffcult to deal with.  If you need support tonight you can call Lifeline on 131114.

Artaud

Thankyou I'm ok just trying to relax

Perhaps trying to convionce yourself you're ok isn't the priority here OP.

As a strong candidate for anxiety i live in fear of going to sleep every night, (achieving sleep is the anxiety heater)

After years of trying to calm myself down and only ending up in a twine, i started researching positive psycology methods, not only did they give me a feeling of power it also restored a feeling of control to my life as the more i practiced what i was reading the more it became clear to me that i DO have the power to control my anxiety without anyone else's input. 

Things that worked for me may help you also.

1. Breathing Techniques - Proper controlled breathing cycles. - there is an app !

2. Get up out of bed if i can't sleep and begin doing a task you heavily dislike, ie. Ironing (the brain sees this as not enjoyable and should start shutting you down)

3. Meditation before bed and diet played a huge role in my recovery. No caffeine after 6pm and plenty of water, greens and fresh fruit and vege.

4. having a deep and meaningful with someone usually releases alot happy chemicals to the brain and may induce better sleep. 

4.5 Energy Excersion - do some PT in the afternoons to blow out any excess energy and get them chemicals moving ! 

5 - the biggest one here for me, was not to lay in bed and wallah in my own headspace.. get up, do something, try not to get in the habit of laying there thinking  instead - get up.

My first post on this forums so i hope i have some added value ! 

Hi I had three last night that's the worst time for me as you said to much laying there thinking .. But I do get up and do stuff .. Last nite I did some breathing and it did seems to make it not last as long .. I might try ironing as I hate doing it and it might make me think about others things .. Its horrible to feel so out of control.. I have been prescribed antidepressants but I'm to scared to take them .. Even though I know they will help .. I put it in my mouth then spit it out .. Is that weird?

Acceptance... YOU ARE NOT WEIRD ....that may be your next hurdle my friend as it was for me, hence the reason you spit them back out, but they are there for a purpose and will help in multiple ways especially for your anxiety.

The Placebo effect - Anxiety Subsides due to you knowing you are now being treated and not still in limbo (contemplating taking them) in a sense you feel rewarded and a feeling of accomplishment just knowing you have made it this far.

Three weeks in ~ You will not notice a dramatic change overnight, these meds take time to do their job, in the meantime, Diet and excericse should be incorportated into your daily routine, you will notice small changes in your day to day life ie - i am not feeling so short with people today or... wow, i really sprung out of bed this morning.

It is important to focus and take notice of those small changes as they will begin to make a list in the back of your head that when you do ask yourself "are these working" the list will start reading itself back to you and you will have answered your own question. 

Breathing - be sure to practice correct methods as deep controlled breathing can also make anxiety attacks worse if not practices correctly ie- To fast of a breathing cycles will cause hypoventilation. 

Good to hear you do get up and not stay locked in your head, i found that if i was getting up more than 2 times a night i would do get up and watch TV in a relaxed state on the couch and usually find myself waking up from there a couple hours later atleast with some sleep up my belt...

It is very important not to create routines during the early hours as your brain will stick to them like glue.. so make sure they are the right ones 😛

Former-Member
Not applicable

I know this might sound strange but I had one at work the other day and I have a safe person who I ring and he tells me funny stories to take my mind off it and it helps a lot.

Thankyou for your input I am really going to try and take my antidepressants I did for two nights and all was good then on the 3 rd night ended up in hospital with major panic .. My husband tries to be supporting but doesn't understand the dr there told me the antidepressant could have started the palpitations but I don't think spas I've been on them before with no trouble.. I would love to exercise but I have a form of muscular dystrophy and that makes it hard but I work as an aged care support worker so I get plenty of exercise at work and I'm going to start going back to the pool when it warms up .

. I know about a safe person mine is my son he's 28 and suffers with it to he is on beta blockers which seems to help him he his my safe place and voice of reason.. You need someone like that
Flower88
Senior Contributor

I know how you feel with the anxiety attacks I get Cronin anxiety, I now have cronic dizziness. I'm still learning on what works for me, I'm too scared to take anti depressence as well so I went to naturopath and on remotive and some drops he made up for me. @Aussie I love your ideas I'm taking note 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance