Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self-compassion

hey @frog

I can relate to the religion thing. Self compassion is essential I think. I hope you are well with where you at now

self compassion.jpg

SELF-COMPASSION

@frog@CheerBear@MDT@Shaz51@Appleblossom

I agree - would we hold back compassion for a person who was vulnerable, tearful, distressed or whatever right there with us at that time in their lives when the sky has fallen in some way?

We have all be hurt ourselves and know how lonely that can be - how lonely that is - so we need to be there for ourselves and be caring and compassionate for ourselves 

After all - we might be the only person we can count on - I have found that to be true often - so turning love on for ourselves as if there were a secret magic switch inside us to do so - to care for ourselves in whatever way is good for us.

Maybe it's as simple as allowing ourselves to grieve our loss - large or small - in the moment - and to ground ourselves in our present - to tell ourselves this is a storm and will pass and to hold on to our own life-line until it passes

Self-compassion - empathy for our own inner being, our inner child - it's perhaps hard to understand but we are the only person who truly knows our story

Dec

@Shaz51  Great post. Your lovely guiding presence has def enhanced these forums.  Thank you.

Heart

@Owlunar my lovely owl with Broad shoulders ... lol .

Heart

@MDT Yes, and we need the input of people of different ages, colours, backgrounds and sexualities to grow as a community.  

Heart

Hi @CheerBear @Appleblossom @Owlunar @Shaz51

I have been reading about self compassion in grief.

Image result for self compassion in grief

good afternoon @frog, @CheerBear, @Appleblossom, @Owlunar, @MDT

hope you are doing something nice for you today

sending you all hugs from me , now to find someone who will give me a hug Heart

Thanks @Shaz51 Here you go

Image result for cheer bear hug

thank you @frog Smiley Very HappyHeart

Hi @frog 🙂 Great to hear that it sounds like you're trying to be kind to yourself while you're experiencing your grief. How do you find it (if you feel like sharing)?

I find I often try and shove my grief (and other big feelings) down deep inside instead of allowing myself to feel and experience it, which is probably not 'self-compassion'. I worry that I will become stuck in intense emotions if I do allow them to surface even though thinking brain knows that things pass.

I like the idea of the ebb and flowing of emotions when we allow them. Acknowledging they are there, sitting with them, and allowing them to happen seems like a much more compassionate way of being with ourselves.

Big hugs frog and sitting with you in your grief ❤

@Shaz51 - big hugs for you also and hoping theres something nice for you in today ❤

Hi @CheerBear I am finding the self compassion quest in terms of losing my lovely old dog is going quite well. I haven't done self compassion very well in the past, but in this instance I am dealing with pure (ie uncomplicated) grief. There are no tangled emotions, or negative history. Hello @Shaz51 @Appleblossom @Owlunar @MDT How are you today? Hope all's well.

Grief is difficult, nevertheless, but I can see that "purity" of the relationship can also be a wonderful thing.

Take Care @frog

Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance