Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

skuapositive
Casual Contributor

Advice on Motivation and Self Worth

All readers. Feel free to add to this post with your own info.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Advice on Motivation and Self Worth

hi @skuapositive is there anything in particular you find challanging with motivation and self worth thoughts? 

is this something you struggle with quite alot?

Hello @skuapositive

A very warm welcome to the forums, it is nice to meet you.

It is good you are trying to find ways of finding motivation and working on your self worth, generally this is done with the support of a Psychologist or Counsellor like @outlander mentioned there may eb things holding you back that you need to work through. They can also help you work on unhelpful thoughts or beliefs which are stopping you from living a life you want to be living, are you working on that with them?

Some people also like to work on their self-care to find ways of caring for them and affirms their self worth, whether that is by doing 'active' things like exercise or activities like sewing, etc OR through 'calming' things like massages, baths, music, etc.

What does your self care consist of?

Lunar

Looking for motivation of happy life, how to stay positive, how to stay strong, How to deal people which annoying and irritating you, how to lead strong life

Please share your thoughts and experinces.

hmm i find rewards help my motivation @skuapositive sorry not much help there will tag some other members that might be able to help

@Queenie@utopia@Ant7@Faith-and-Hope@Sans911@Former-Member@Shaz51could you guys help?

Hey there @skuapositive, I struggle with low motivation and poor self-worth at the best of times. I find though if I buy into low self-worth, it can be a never-ending cycle which fuels depression. When challenging my self-worth, I use a lot of what I learned with CBT principles, I search for evidence that I am really not worth that much. This could include finding evidence from loved ones (seeking reassurance), seeing how I am going in my life (what am I achieving?). If I find evidence that challenges my thinking that I am not worth much as a person, then I have to alter my thinking.

Having said all that being a bipolar type schizoaffective person, I have moments of grandeur too, so it is all about keeping it on an even keel. I identify triggers (for me it is my blood family) and develop plans on how to comfortable minimise harm associated with these triggers. 

Sorry for the ramble, I hope this helps! 🙂 

@skuapositive I guess for me it is to try to ignore people that are trying to bring you down. I know that’s hard especially if you are doing it to your self (I am my own worst enemy here) and try to listen more to people who try and build you up and keep you positive. I hope that makes sense and is some help 😊

@skuapositive - a motivation to stay strong for me is not wanting to get that sick again and have to go back to hospital. I don't want those suicidal thoughts to be that strong. So I know Ineed to ppractice my breathing exercises and meditation. I'm trying to walk a fee times a week. I'm still not great with a healthy sleeping and eating routine, but I'll get there.
I just keep telling myself that things will get better. I also allow myself to have bad days or lazy days when they arise.
Annoying people.
I try to avoid them as much as possible and to reduce stress in my life. I limit my time with my sister - due to her negative comments about me and my mental health. Whereas, I'll talk to my mum more, because she understands or tries to understand how I'm feeling and why.
Advice
Try not to isolate yourself.
Take up a hobby
Do some exercise
Get fresh air
Get out in nature
Don't be too hard on yourself

Hello @skuapositive and welcome to the forum. @outlander Hi! I wanted to quickly respond before I have to go do other things. 

@skuapositive Before I write a whole heap of stuff that might be of no use to you and your situation at all, what sort of things do you already do?

I see you admire meditation, so I expect you use meditation a great deal for your own situation. 

Have you found that meditating helps in any way for you in the situations you're looking for help with motivation with?

What does having a happy life mean to you? Doing something that makes another person happy mght not work for you, because happy to me and happy to you are likely to be very different. 

Would you kindly share some of what has, and has not, worked for you, so we can all garner a better idea of what might be working for you. 

Combining all of everyone's ideas would make and excellent self help book wouldn't it .... 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance