Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

MzUnique1
Casual Contributor

New to group

Hi all new to this group and feel blessed I found my first support group

I’m 54 years old struggled with drug, alcohol, nicotine addiction and domestic violence since the age 14.  Single with no children…

Diagnosed with bipolar 2008 was totally in denial until diagnosed with PTSD January 2023….survived breast cancer 1998 and again 2019

Went cold turkey on all substances December 1st 2022 after experiencing manic episode and being admitted to hospital.

Still smiling sober and have returned to church for this little Latter Day Saint.  Looking to make friends, find support and discuss with like minded people who just get it.  Am tired of feeling alone, unwanted and working through this on my own.  Ready to help others as I feel like an encyclopaedia of information waiting to be explored.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: New to group

Hey @MzUnique1

Welcome to the forums, we are so glad that you found us!

You are in a safe place to share amongst friends. There is no judgment.

Thank you for sharing your story, you sound like you have been through a lot but you have also gained a lot of wisdom and insight.

I look forward to hearing more about your story.

Speak soon

Melbcoffeesnob

Hey @MzUnique1 ,

Thanks for sharing a little about yourself. I'm sure many in the community will benefit from your experiences. It's great to have you here with us.

It sounds like you've had it pretty difficult in the past, and you currently feel quite lonely.

During my recovery, I found these forums vital in helping me connect with others. That sense of belonging really supported my wellbeing. I hope you find the same.

How do you normally spend your days?

@tyme 

Wow Thank you for responding so quickly.

Yes I’m lonely …I just feel so alone in this world with my illness and traumas if that makes sense. A sense of belonging is what I miss among other things

I can’t seem to connect or talk with my family about my mental health issues as it’s complicated alcohol and drugs related. I’m trying to stay alcohol and drug free.

I trust and am very happy with my current mental health team they totally understand and keep it professional and encourage me to hang in there as I suffer bouts of depression

I am in receipt of disability pension.

I spend a lot of time thinking of what happened to me and where did my confidence go.

I become weighed down with the memories of my past and question how did I get here?

I’m trying to find support groups local to me that can help keep me active and uplifted

I hope you get some support and benefit from being here like I have

Re: support

Thankyou @ArraDreaming 

I’m hearing you. Thanks for posting and helping me to feel not so alone.

Hi @MzUnique1 ,

I'm glad you are taking steps in better yourself. Yes, drugs and alcohol complicate things, but it's not impossible. I've seen many come clean, and stay clean and go on to live very successful lives - my own brother-in-law included.

It doesn't make you inferior or 'less' just because you have found yourself in an unfortunate position.

We are here to support you

Hi @lateby , great to have you swing by too!

I forgot to ask, it that a photo of Jesus in your profile picture with a quote or bible verse? @MzUnique1 

I love the quote/verse!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance