Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Life After Bushfires // Tues 19th January, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

That's understandable @JLD- I'm wondering if there's anything you have done/ could do to manage these reactions knowing the triggers? Noise cancelling headphones sounds like a great answer to trying to block out or lessen the impact of thunder sounds!

Re: Topic Tuesday // Life After Bushfires // Tues 19th January, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

@Klutz wrote:
We support each other. We keep in contact with our friends from south coast.
I volunteer in local op shop and do some volunteering on line. helping others has helped me. I am honest when people say how are you and I will tell when I am struggling. My adult children have been very supportive and my grandchildren are the best therapy whenI lose myself dancing with scarves with a 2 year old.

Helping others and volunteering is such a powerful way to cope- you are so right that helping others can help us too. Your openness and honesty with others is also role modelling for them that it is okay to talk about the things they are feeling 💙

We are almost at the end of our discussion tonight, and up to our final question @Fizz : 

Question 6:

Where can we go from here to continue these conversations?

@143 @Poppet1 @KingParrot would love to hear any thoughts or tips you might have and feel comfortable sharing if you have any ways of managing triggers or other resources to manage self care & wellbeing 😊

when I quit my job back in 2007 due to brunout (i didn't know that was what I was suffering from at the time) I just explored the internet by typing things like self care, well being, burnout and came across lots of resources - some I really gelled with others not so - but 54 weeks later I returned to my old job with a new appreciation of what self-care and well-being were and became a champion of that at first to the annoyance of my colleagues but gradually appreciation -  at the time they weren't the buzz words they are nowadays but there are some really great resources out there for inidividuals to use - recommened lots of sites like Beyon Blue, Black Dog Institute amongst others etc - explore and find stuff that works for you - we are all individuals and what works for me may not work for you 

Thanks for this discussion .
I am tired and finding it hard to keep up with all the posts,old age creeping up.
It has been interesting to read others experiences.
@JLD thanks for honesty and expressing what I find hard to express.
I hope things move quicker with the rebuild. I am glad you have a community that cares. Your BBQ sounded just what you all needed.
So good night to all

No worries @Klutz. You've done well! Thanks so much for being here with us & sharing your experiences! 😊

So lovely to have you with us tonight @Klutz, thanks for joining it and being so generous in sharing your experiences. Hope you found the discussion helpful.

Language around self care really has grown the last decade @Fizz, and you are so right that there are more and more resources about wellbeing and self care now than a decade ago. Your openness to exploring these topics with your colleagues sounds like it was new to them at the time, but might be something that plants a seed for them to seek support in future if they need it too

"we are all individuals and what works for me may not work for you " This is so true, but through sharing stories and strategies, we can try and learn new things for the future

Glad to hear they were thankful in the end @Fizz. I feel like every workplace needs a self care champion! 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance