Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Tequilaquilala
New Contributor

What do I do

I've kinda always known that the way my brain functions is really different from the way most people do and it's really difficult for me to type this without making it sound like there's something wrong with me but recently I've been trying really hard to get better after attempted suicide(s), substance abuse, the whole lot but I really really don't know if I should go to a gp. Firstly I wouldn't know what I'm doing even if I did go but mostly because my family is really financially unstable and if I am diagnosed it makes everything feel too real I wouldn't be able to afford therapy or meds so what's the point but what if there's actually something up with my head shouldn't I try to find out what's wrong? Sorry if this is a blob of a rant I just don't know where to turn 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: What do I do

Hi @Tequilaquilala and welcome to the forum. What you are going through sounds really hard and it's great to see you here reaching out. I would be really difficult to be wondering what the point of seeing someone might be if you couldn't afford treatment anyway, but also wondering whether you should if you think it could be helpful too. Do your family know much about how you are going at the moment and the worries you have about seeing someone? 

It can feel really daunting to try and work out how to go about finding support. A GP is a great place to start and there are some really awesome bulk billing GPs out there. Perhaps you could call or look online to see if any local GPs mention mental health as an area of interest or specialty. You could start by saying pretty much exactly what you said in your post here. A GP should know how to help from there. From there they could potentially refer you to someone for further support. There can be a gap fee for many services but there are some which are free or have no out of pocket expenses. Where I am there are suicide prevention support services and programs which have strict elibility criteria but no fee. A GP would hopefully know a bit more about what is available in your area. 

Keep reaching out and talking if it helps. It's really hard to go through things like this without support. 

Hey @Tequilaquilala,

Welcome to the forums. I'm one of the moderators. It sounds like you've been through a really tough time, I hear so much motivation to keep getting better, but also real fears about what it would mean to get support.

I would definitely echo @CheerBear's thoughts that a GP with expertise in mental health who can help you find affordable support would be amazing.

It's so brave to acknowledge you may need support, it's a big step into the unknown. Please keep using the forums for support while you navigate this.

Hi @Tequilaquilala and welcome. I'm new too. But I was thinking that I have 10 free appointments with a psychologist per year according to the Mental Health Plan my GP made, and also my psych meds are only $6.20 per month. So I wanted to let you know there is cheap support out there.

Good luck, I hope you feel able to go to a GP if that's what you decide. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance