Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Former-Member
Not applicable

A note on distraction. (Until I can think of a better title).

Up to a couple of minutes ago, I was in a really deep Depression. I was about to write an incoherent rant about how today is an "I'm sick of it" day, and how I am going to find it difficult to survive one week until there's a chance I can get a break from work. 

However, I remembered that I wanted to watch a stream tonight, of someone reading a book I'm on at the moment. She divides these streams up into parts, each part covering a few chapters. She's actually a pretty good actress, and in between chapters, she stops to chat with the audience on Twitch. I thought of sitting on the couch with a cup of tea and enjoying her company. It was recorded two years ago, but I still feel like I'm part of it. I thought "there are worse things I could be doing tonight."

I only had that thought for a few seconds, and it was enough to snap me out of where I was. 

Don't get me wrong. My life is really painful right now. Even if all my problems disappeared overnight, I wouldn't care. I feel like it's already too late... but sometimes, taking your mind off it is the only choice you really have, and it helps.

I am a big sports fan, and this is why I get a bit annoyed when people say things like "there's more to life than sport", or "it doesn't matter". I mean people like sport, but the fact that I follow teams in detail and know all the NFL and MLB teams in order of their division is just plain weird. There's obviously more to life than sport, although you could argue sport is a part of life. However, sometimes sport is also a way to escape real life.

How do you distract yourself?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: A note on distraction. (Until I can think of a better title).

@Former-Member  I try to listen to music but find myself falling into a pit of yukkyness mostly.

Re: A note on distraction. (Until I can think of a better title).

Hi @Former-Member it's great when something simple can snap us out of a down state. Even if it doesn't last for long, it helps. Distractions can be a good way of dealing with mental distress, from what I understand, as they allow us some time to focus on something aside from our pain.

My biggest distraction is creativity, which I do mostly on the computer. In my case I go too far with it often and don't want to return to my personal reality. But when in balance, these things can really enhance our lives.

I'm surprised people say those downer things to you about your interest in sport. As someone with no interest in it, it seems the whole of Oz culture is pretty obsessed with sport. Wouldn't mind if there was more of that about creative things!

But I think your passion for sport is totally valid and probably really helpful for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance