Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

universepocket
Contributor

tell me your story.

Does anyone with schizoaffective disorder relate to this? Recently I came out of a 6+ year psychosis, my diagnosis has been bipolar 1 for a few months now and I guess until a few weeks ago I was pretty confident that I had reached a final diagnosis. Now, much more sane, I see that it was much more than that. I never really felt at home in the bipolar community because I was so much more afraid and suspicious. Also incredibely paranoid. Oh and of course, even though I didn't realize at the time, I was hallucinating and I was also in the middle of a mass dillusion. I guess I just came to the forum to ramble today. I'm only just starting to accept this. How could I think that was normal for 6+ years? My Mum told me today that not even six months ago we were in the city and all I could tell her was "What if they laced the screens of smart phones with poison in the production line and there was a mass of deaths?" or "What if the people in the department store purfume section poisoned you via giving you a free sample?" or when we were riding in a cab she saw me rubbing the seat beside me with my sleave and I said "They could find out my identity by tracing my fingerprints in this cab." Don't get me wrong, those are great ideas for a book. Which I will probably write in my next manic episode.

It's been so hard reworking what career I want to pursue. Was it hard for anyone else? My biggest priority is to have a family. I'm so scared that it might not happen. I can't even leave my home with out my mother. Does anyone else have continence issues? I know that's gross but I think it's got something to do with how terrified I've always been.

You know, I really feel so happy in the schizoaffective community. Everyone has been so understanding and supportive. And of course it's so nice to relate to other people. 

Ever since I came out of my psycosis, I have much less severe symptoms. I feel like my biggest issues came with the schizophrena side of things. Although I'm still debilitated and after 5pm it feels like a real life horror movie. Sorry I'm just rambling on. I think I just really want to know other peoples experience with schizoaffective disorder. Please, tell your story below.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: tell me your story.

Well I was diagnosed about 7-8 years ago.

I have had serious addiction problems that made worse my symptoms.  One in particular I stopped about 14 days ago.  It was for my ADHD but also made me manic and delsuional sometimes.  When I am off of drugs, I dont suffer from delusions nearly as much and hallucinations rarely if ever occur.  In fact, Im hoping that when i finally get off drugs completely, I wont need the injections of antipsychotics anymore.  Which would be great, cause those shots make me gain alot of weight.  I went from a bipolar diagnosis to a schizo diagnosis.  To be perfectly honest, I am not sure I am going to have either problems when i finally get clean.  In the past 14 days, I havent been paranoid or deluysional at all.  So I'm hoping that this is really a case of me being a big time drug addict who needed to get clean, not someone who is naturally MI.  It would make sense since no one in my family tree, immediate or otherwise has ever been diagnosed with a MI.  But maybe thats just hopeful thinking. Its what I latch onto, for hopes of having somewhat of a normal life if i can just quit the substance use and abuse.  

Re: tell me your story.

I have had old lady continence issues lately, Woman Embarassed but there was a stage where I had it when I was about 16 .. where I used to run to get home after work but not quite make it. 

I have self diagnosed schizoaffective disorder .. no-one really knows whats wrong with me ... I think it was actually due to me not knowing where there was a local toilet ... the guys where I worked were sleazy so I probably didnt want to ask them ... logical if you think about it.

I also watched my own kids and plenty of others .. its often a thing  .. when people's heads are too busy to be aware of their bodily needs .. eg they dissociate a lot.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance