Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Toomanymes
New Contributor

Wrong diagnosis?

I've been diagnosed with bipolar type II. Is it possible that I was misdiagnosed, and could actually have BPD? Or is it possible to have both?
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Wrong diagnosis?

Hi @Toomanymes,

and welcome to the Sane forums. You will find a lot of supportive people here.

As far as your diagnosis goes, it's best to discuss it with your doctor. Do you see a psychiatrist or G.P. or both? My personal understanding is that, yes, it's possible that people are misdiagnosed from time to time... but that does not mean that it has happened to you. 

I am certainly not an expert, only a fellow patient, but I understand that with many mental illnesses, symptoms can cross over, just as they can with a physical illness. So you could have a mix of symptoms, some of which a person with either BPD or Bipolar II (or another mental illness) might experience. It's up to a qualified, experienced medico to give you a diagnosis. 

You can always ask for a second opinion. If you have any concerns, seek out a new doctor and go over everything with them in detail. 

I think you will find that a few people on the forums here have had diagnosis's that have changed over time. It can get confusing!

@Toomanymes, what makes you suspect that you have been given the wrong diagnosis?

Hi @Toomanymes

Welcome to the Forums! I'm Shimmer, one of the moderators here Smiley Happy

I'd echo what @Sahara said, that symptoms of different mental illnesses can cross over and diagnosis involves clinical judgement, so it's best to speak to your clinician about your specific situation and set of symptoms. Also, diagnoses can change over time (through either misdiagnosis or an evolving condition) and you are always free to ask for a second opinion.

We recently had a discussion about diagnosis here, maybe you would find it a useful read!

Feel free to share more of your story if you'd like, we look forward to hearing more from you!

Shimmer Smiley Happy

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Toomanymes,

I know that the first diagnosis isn't always the right one. I've had a few in my time. I was recently in hospital with someone who had been misdiagnosed with bipolar so I guess it happens from time to time. I do think you have to either follow up with your clinician as to why they've given you that diagnosis or get a second opinion but as mentioned above I think sometimes it just takes time and working with someone for a while for a true diagnosis to happen. Personally for me the most important part is for me to be treated as a person and not a diagnosis. Good luck with it all 💜:face_with_rolling_eyes:

Hi everyone, thank you for the welcomes. I was diagnosed bipolar II about 5 years ago by my psychiatrist. I've struggled with severe treatment-resistant depression and anxiety for about 20 years. After I FINALLY started doing my own research, I found a combination of meds and asked my doctor to try them. I'm mostly stable now. My hypomania presents as rage. It was easier to treat that than the depression.

Hi @Toomanymes,

I'm glad your illness is under control now. Good on you for doing your own research and finding a combination of meds to suggest trying. That is so wonderful that your doctor listened to you and allowed you to try those specific meds! Sounds like a good doctor to me. Smiley Wink

I do a lot of research online, too. I have anxiety and have had severe depression in the past. I found that taking a combination of medication and seeing a counsellor worked for me. I also had to make some life-style changes that my counselling helped me to do. 

Do you see a counsellor for day to day issues and talking things over?

That's interesting that your hypomania presents as rage. When I first sought counselling myself, my main problem was anger, before it eventually got worse and I became depressed. In hindsight, I feel I have a good understanding of why I used to be so angry and it isn't as much of a problem now. Counselling really did help with this, although it took time. 

Hello @Toomanymes

It is good to see you

My husband has been diagnosed with a lot of things , clinical depression , anxiety, GAD, SAD,and so on , But with my research I think he has Bipolar 11

His doctor diagnosed him for one thing and gave him medications for another thing

Former-Member
Not applicable

Interesting to read about mis-diagnoses. I've been treated for severe clinical depression since the 80s but it really began when I was 12 almost 20 years before. But more recently I'm thinking its more of BPD combined with depression to, you know, just make life more interesting (sarcasm ). My GP has told me he "doesn't do mental health" so how do I find out ? Just get a referral to a psychiatrist or psychologist??
Thanks.

Conditions can also be co-morbid (ie. exist together), such that Bipolar Type II and BPD can occur in the one patient.

I have Bipolar Type II and Borderline Traits.  That means that under the DSM IV, I have the requisite symptoms for a diagnosis of Bipolar but only a few of the Borderline "Traits" and therefore do not qualify for the diagnosis of the disorder.  However, the Borderline Traits cause some serious problems in life so they need to be treated specifically - namely Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Dialectical Behaviour Therapy.

It has taken 14 years to figure this out and your psychologist should be able to administer a test such as the MMPI to help with this diagnosis.  Its important to do so because the treatment for BPD is very specific and can be incredibly helpful if you are experiencing uncontrollable anger.

In my case, an anti-depressant, a mood stabiliser and Dialectical Behavioural Therapy is the treatment and I attend a weekly Bipolar group that is covered under my private health insurance.

You might suspect BPD  if you had a traumatic or abusive childhood or any period of serious intability during vulnerable periods of your life.   If youre struggling with relationships, work, sense of identity is all screwed up and suffering severe emotional outbursts then possibly your a candidate for BPD.

I agree with the other comments.  It is very wise to get a couple of opinions and have your psychologist administer a diagnostic test.  Then follow the treatment plan.

All the best!

Hello @musha, @Toomanymes, @Former-Member, @Sahara, @Former-Member

My husband was put on a anti depressant and a anti anxiety medication when he took himself to the hospital

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance