Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

universepocket
Contributor

Voices

Hey there! I was just wondering if anyone here does voices? That sounds kind of strange but I mean does anyone speak in silly voices? Because I do a few different ones. Mostly if I'm stressed or I have an emotion I'm finding hard to express. It's usually like a high pitched toddler voice. I'm not particularly concerned but I was wondering if it was related to my mental illness at all. I don't mean impressions of cartoon characters though. Has to be a unique voice. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
Tyler77
Senior Contributor

Re: Voices

I do voices when I talk to certain people.  I have one special for my mother and a language we speak, that we only know.  Its really kinda silly.  I also sometimes use voices when I feel insecure about something....I dont think it has anything to do with mental illness, unless your hearing voices that aren;t there. 

Hi @Tyler77 @universepocket

Although he doesn't come across that way, my younger son is somewhat shy and awkward in various social settings, and uses different voices to crack jokes and be witty.  It's quite a clever way to break tension, make people laugh and relate or relax.  

I beleive it is a mask of sorts, his inner joker helping to carry the moment, but it has a positive effect, so to me it's okay.  Just another part of his personality expressing itself, which is what we all do in a variety of ways.

Some of the voices he uses are impersonations of famous people, or more particularly movie characters, like Yoda from Star Wars, and Smeegle from Lord of the Rings.  Others are characters of his own making.  

They are all used to perform and entertain, deflect attention from how he might be feeling, make light of heavier topics, create camaraderie, etc.  

It's theatre.  Puppetry without the puppets, if you like.

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Great question @universepocket

I notice my voice goes up a little higher when I'm nervous. I can physically feel my throat tighten, which I think causes it.

Interesting question!

Do you produce those voices intentionally or is in involuntary?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance