Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Let`s talk about Bipolar

Good afternoon @grayhorn , @Delicatessen , @frog , @HenryX , @Olga , @Dimity , @greenpea 

Today has been a lazy day  though we did go for a drive to the next city and back home again 

Done the washing,  going to cook quiche for dinner tonight 

Family want to go watch the new "Batman "

Hi @Shaz51
Thanks for thinking of me. Have been swamped with friends and loved ones this weekend. Feeling great. Off to long walk this afternoon. For now, kicking back in happiness…

Hello @grayhorn , @Delicatessen , @frog , @Olga , @greenpea , @Dimity@eth@Mazarita , @Shaz51 , @RedHorse , @Appleblossom , @TAB@Last-Lament  @tyme@Rhye  ....... and others visiting this thread.

During the last few days (week) I have been less active. I am attempting to consolidate and address 'head on' some of the issues that I am facing. I have a great deal of work to do in my personal space. The aim is to 'reduce, repurpose, distribute and dispose of the items and materials, surplus to present and anticipated requirements, that I have collected over the past 30 odd years. This has been part of an on-going discussion with @Dimity and others, in her thread,

Re: The magic of tidying .

Now, I am at an age when my physical capacity is diminishing and I need to look at what I can use and achieve with consideration given to the practicality of projects and, also, the materials and presentation of what I will ultimately leave behind for special others. I am keen to leave a relatively simple space in pleasant condition.

Having been out of the conversations here, for about a week, I wish to review recent posts and comments, and respond to those that I have viewed today.

@grayhorn, I can understand and appreciate your ideas and sentiments in regard to dealing with fairly constant pain. Having had three back operations, which I believe have allowed me to remain independently mobile, I still have a constant level of pain: less when I am sitting or lying down, but with quite a heavy impact when I am standing or moving around. Consequently, pain relief medication has helped me a great deal in maintaining, at least, a reasonable level of activity. I have reduced the medication to the least possible while still assisting to maintain that 'reasonable level of activity'. Despite the effects of the pain, I also recognise that exercise is imperative for me to be able to continue to be reasonably active in my life. "Catch 22" though, exercise means pain, no exercise means less pain but a consequently, rapidly diminishing capacity to continue to do the things that I wish to do.

Unfortunately, I can also relate to your expressed ideas about the impact of our own pain levels on our relationships with other people. Since I live on my own, I do not have to maintain a position within my household. But, I need to be cautious, when I am with others, that I be conscious of my condition, circumstance and pain levels and any presentation of their effects on the people around me. I can certainly relate to the idea of being a hermit, against which position I am continually working.

One very pleasing aspect of my interaction in the community, is the awareness of courtesy and support of people around me, evident in the actions of older and younger people alike. It has certainly taken some time for me to accommodate the idea of being a person who may be perceived, mostly by me, as requiring additional assistance from time to time. Since I have allowed myself to accept and acknowledge offers of assistance, where appropriate and necessary, it has been and continues to be gratifying to know that such assistance is so often offered, graciously, pleasantly and with good humour.

Weather conditions do have an impact also. recently I have felt refreshed and invigorated by cooler weather and some rain. However, I am conscious that I am likely to need to work a little harder at times in order to overcome the effects of seasonally darker days. The weather also has strange effects on the ups and downs that we experience. This is all the more reason for me to establish a firm but flexible routine in the required activities of each day, in order to maintain a reasonable sense of stability. Your comment,

"To feel numb and give up, or open oneself to the pleasure and pain of life and the struggle with the polarity of depression and mania?"

seems to be particularly apt.

One point in your correspondence that amused me because I am so familiar with the occurrence. I have occasionally found myself responding to a post or comment, or reading material that has been totally past its "use by date" and very likely, no longer relevant.

With Best Wishes for Now

@HenryX 

Hello @HenryX it's good to hear from you.  I've missed your posts lately.

I know you weren't  addressing me personally but I'm sorry you're having to cope with chronic pain. Your courage and perseverance sound very hopeful.  Staying active in the community and weathering seasonal changes are priorities for me too, even if I can't always achieve what I'd like to. I'm glad you're noticing and receiving community support from the people you encounter. If I can help in any way in this thread or the The magic of tidying thread I'd be happy to. Another thread I've been following is Daily Achievements! which I find supportive and encouraging thanks to @Judi9877 and her fellow forumites. It helps ease both the numbness and the intermittent pain - and is a vehicle for sharing the occasional achievements.  My goal is to achieve more, more often, and in company - including you. 

Cheers and best wishes 

Dimity

Hi @Shaz51 

Just a quick update for you re something important to me.

I suffer from OCD and anxiety and have been going through a course of treatment that includes cognitive behavioural therapy. The outcomes have been very positive so far. Apparently this condition is not unfamiliar to bipolars (who knows).

Anyway, thre is a very big issue that is causing my anxiety to go through the roof. I ended up discussing this with my doctor the other day. We ended up assessing the probability, cost, coping and rescue strategies together.  This was with a view to addressing me catastrophising, which was having awful impacts for me.

Today I implemented one of the coping strategies (a private chat with an expert, learned colleague) and had a fantastic result. I also have two more coping strategies that I can put in place that will both address my growing anxiety and give me some structure to my thinking/processing. 

Based on my progress with my doctor I’m now starting to see that I’m not a hopeless case. It’s slow going but so far it’s been worth it. It’s a bit of a watch this space now…

@HenryX Good to see you and hear you are planning wisely, tho thats no surprise, still good to hear.

@grayhorn Welcome

@Delicatessen @Shaz51 @Dimity 

Bit pressured timewise, but wanted to say hello on this thread.

Take Care

hello and hugs @Delicatessen 

thank you for your update 

yes my mr shaz was diagnosed with OCD, inherited depression, ADHD, GAD, SAD, befor being diagnosed with Bipolar 2 

step by step my friend , one day at time 

hello @Dimity@HenryX@grayhorn@frog 

Hello and welcome @Anonymoose 

Come and meet some awesome friends @grayhorn , @Appleblossom , @Delicatessen , @Dimity , @HenryX , @frog , @greenpea 

Any questions please ask  

Hey @Anonymoose love that name.  You can add on to this thread if you like or start a new thread with your own story ... or a bit of both.

@Delicatessen  Really good to hear that you made progress with talking to some good people and can see some hope.

@HenryX @Dimity @Shaz51 Really value your contributions over the years.

@grayhorn Just something you mentioned ...

download.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance