Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Experiencing recurring nightmare once while awake. Panic attack?

Hey @thereaper 🖐 and shout-out to @prodius 👍

Thankyou for your warm thoughts Reaper. I now realise how religion plays a role in your life; it didn't come across that way previously. I'm not actually a believer anymore, and probably aren't too spiritual either, but I'm fully supportive of your right to feel the way you do.

I'm wondering Prodius/Reaper, if your beliefs have had a baring on/with these night terrors.

I was a very religious child growing up which I feel may have set me up in a way due to the amount of fear and guilt associated with Catholicism. You know; right vs wrong, heaven and hell, good and bad...in general; the whole idea of sin to a little girl is frightening.

Self blame was a huge obstacle to overcome, especially when being female 'seemed' to be at the core of my trauma's. I understand how silly this is now, but growing up I took blame onto my shoulders as a matter of course because that's how my parents groomed me. (Obviously self blame isn't just a female problem, so please don't feel I'm suggesting that ok)

When my nightmares first began in the 90's, I dreamed about Jesus. He raised his hand towards me adorned with a ruby ring, which I kissed. I told my counsellor at that time and she screamed at the top of her lungs in my face; "It's the Devil; it's the Devil!" Wow! It takes all sorts eh?

Looking back all these years later, I know it represented my behaviour around men, who I chose to believe were all perfect 'Gods' instead of flawed humans, so I had to be at fault for all the wrong doings against me? Right or wrong, it's what I believed. A child's view on life stuck with me...

Beliefs of any kind can warp our sense of self which can appear in dreams generated by the subconscious trying to alert us to behaviours that might pose a risk to our well-being. Just like mine did. It's my understanding that dreams are harbingers of information we need to be aware of. It's just that the subconscious speaks in symbols/pictures that confuses us. Once we interpret that info, the dream goes away.

Anyway, just a little about what I've learned, my journey and how I became me.

Take care;

Hope xo Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance