Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Dealing with denial

Hi Camelia - I am a new member and have just read through your discussion in 2014 -  feel like I am living a very similar situation to yourself and at this point after many years of trying to support my son and get him much needed help he has now moved out of home and I do not know where he is and am feeling helpless and so scared for him - I just wondered how your journey is going with your son - I truly hope you have him back on a safe path..stay strong and positive..Beth

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi Beth, a warm weekend welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through such a difficult time with your son right now. Despite this you have found you way here and are connecting here which is great. No pressure to share but I guess I wondered how you are getting through this time..... 

Hello 🙂 I am trying to stay busy and keep my mind off my worries. Sometimes I can do this well with a lot of 'self talk' and reminders of the lovely people I have around me that rely on and love me. But to be honest right now I'm struggling ..my son is 22 and has always been a mums boy and I have always been able to connect with him (he is my baby) but he has become really hostile lately and we have lost that connection ..I guess I'm not coping so well at the moment but thank you for responding to me and allowing me to let that out. Tomorrow is another day and I always always have hope for happy ones 🙂

Hi @Camelia - The stress of dealing with a loved one who has an addiction is very tough, and even though I have not faced that, I have watched other parents go through it.  I was addicted to smoking marijuana for a number of years when I was alot younger, from around 16 to 23 I smoked daily - I went to Narcotics Anonymous, and it was what helped me to get off it initially, but the stuff I learnt about myself and addiction stayed with me, and I believe it messed up my using because I had an awareness of why I felt the need to take myself out of reality that I never had before.  I even gave up my addiction to nicotine 6 months after the dope applying what I had learnt - no matter what you use, the nature of addiction is the same.  I get how difficult it must be for you that your husband doesn't understand that it is not as simple as your son 'going out to get a job' - he needs to have been recovering for some time to be able to do this, and maintain it.  Speaking of denial, another person said something (as I am now writing my response I can't go back and read who made the comment)  which I think is very insightful, and which I agree, and that is that denial also has it's place because I believe when we are there, we are not capable of facing the truth yet, and need to be there - I think that is what N.A. did for me - it was very difficult to continue to deny anything, though I don't know how you get there in the first place if you are denying you have a problem. I thankfully at 23 knew I had a problem with it, and marijuana was the only drug of dependence I had ever tried, though many people who go have used many drugs of dependence - how it works is that addicts who have been clean for some time and have worked through the 12 step recovery program, sponsor and support newcomers.  Anyway, I could go on all night, but this was just to give you some idea of what worked for me - I am 52 now and from 23 years old, I relapsed once, and still felt that using my drug of choice was not an option and quickly got back on track.  Now, I just want to mention another fellowship that you might find helps to support you and quite possibly your husband, which is NAR ANON - for family, friends and loved ones who are dealing with addiction.  After reading your post, I am convinced that you would benefit from the support of this group, and as another member mentioned, you need to look after you, and can't be responsible for everyone - helping yourself, will be helping your son. I hope your precious son finds the thing that helps him, and helps your husband too because not having the awareness of what is happening to your son is a pain that won't go away for him as well. Stay in touch @Camelia Woman Happy

Hi @ Camelia - The stress of dealing with a loved one who has an addiction is very tough, and even though I have not faced that, I have watched other parents go through it.  I was addicted to smoking marijuana for a number of years when I was alot younger, from around 16 to 23 I smoked daily - I went to Narcotics Anonymous, and it was what helped me to get off it initially, but the stuff I learnt about myself and addiction stayed with me, and I believe it messed up my using because I had an awareness of why I felt the need to take myself out of reality that I never had before.  I even gave up my addiction to nicotine 6 months after the dope applying what I had learnt - no matter what you use, the nature of addiction is the same.  I get how difficult it must be for you that your husband doesn't understand that it is not as simple as your son 'going out to get a job' - he needs to have been recovering for some time to be able to do this, and maintain it.  Speaking of denial, another person said something (as I am now writing my response I can't go back and read who made the comment)  which I think is very insightful, and which I agree, and that is that denial also has it's place because I believe when we are there, we are not capable of facing the truth yet, and need to be there - I think that is what N.A. did for me - it was very difficult to continue to deny anything, though I don't know how you get there in the first place if you are denying you have a problem. I thankfully at 23 knew I had a problem with it, and marijuana was the only drug of dependence I had ever tried, though many people who go have used many drugs of dependence - how it works is that addicts who have been clean for some time and have worked through the 12 step recovery program, sponsor and support newcomers.  Anyway, I could go on all night, but this was just to give you some idea of what worked for me - I am 52 now and from 23 years old, I relapsed once, and still felt that using my drug of choice was not an option and quickly got back on track.  Now, I just want to mention another fellowship that you might find helps to support you and quite possibly your husband, which is NAR ANON - for family, friends and loved ones who are dealing with addiction.  After reading your post, I am convinced that you would benefit from the support of this group, and as another member mentioned, you need to look after you, and can't be responsible for everyone - helping yourself, will be helping your son. I hope your precious son finds the thing that helps him, and helps your husband too because not having the awareness of what is happening to your son is a pain that won't go away for him as well. Stay in touch @ Camelia Woman Happy

Hi country mum, I want reading your story and felt for you, you sound like a woman who is scared and doing all she can to hold her family together. I should firstly let you know that my partner of 11uears suffers from schizophrenia and we have had some incredibly trying times that I also thankful we got through, If I can give you any advice at all it would be to try and get your son of marijuana immediately, marijuana (or any drugs and alcohol) is a huge trigger for schizophrenia. If you are positive that is what your son has, it is imperative he stay clean. I feel horrible that your husband doesn't understand the fight your fighting what a strong woman you must be. One thing that has always helped me with my battles is writing, obviously you require outside support but just as something for you, writing can become a thereputic experience and help you understand or at the very least, release some tension. Take time to just breathe and look after yourself, you ate important and if you can't operate at 100%, than everyone looses. Take time to have a nice quite breakfast, to enjoy your surroundings and always have gratitude in your heart. I wish you all the best moving forward, you are for sure a woman warrior 🙂

Dear @Beth

How are you today?

I'm having growing away pains with my 22 year old too. A dear friend I have.....I had no idea.....has knowledge in what Im going through and wondering if what he suggested can help you?

He and his wife said to me: 

'Im right here, right behind you. I can support you.....but I know you can do it alone. You can do this."

My issue with my son was him dealing with his medical problems. Hes sink into smoking weed daily. A lot  this is because of the friends he is deciding to live with but the major issue is:

He has decided to charge his Dad for sexual abuse.

Maybe you can lift the...' I know you can do it alone," bit or in someway you can change a little what I am saying to my son??

Take care,

PP

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance