Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: BPD diagnosis being used by hospital to deny treatment.

"Second opinion" was the first thing we tried, chemonro, but it got co-opted. They just put in another one of their team, equally arrogant, who had not seen her. She "listened" to what we had to say, then virtually parroted  identical words to the previous one. She was astonished we weren't buying it and  said to me, "I want you to repeat back to me exactly what I said" like you would to a six year old kid. I just lost it and she tried to put me into care.

Our daughter's response to this one, in a lucid moment, was, "ah another one that took up psychiatry to find out what was wrong with her."

Anyway all this conflict with the hospital  is not in any way productive. I have found a health care fund that lets you keep offspring covered until age 23, and though I've had to bump up the cover, we will be free of the public system and their ever-so-doubtful BPD diagnoses in a couple of months.

In the meantime, she is actually inpatient, they gave up on their hard line. We are required by the landlord to move house, and this time we'll choose something that might be more safe for her where she can't fling herself off the balcony. By then, you never know, she might even stabilize. 

Goodness me... The system is like... Messed up sometimes. *doe eyes*

Four or five years ago,, I went to see a GP and told her I felt I was slipping......
she freaked put me on Anti depressants and referred me to Psych team. that's cool. she then asked permission to write to my Psychotherapist, who Ide been regularly seeing for over 10 years.

she then ...after two 15 min sessions with her, wrote letters calling me BPD but did not tell me this. so I toddled off to Psych team ....and a few other things happened.
My psychotherapist .....in return wrote to her and stated Anne...that's me.....does not have BBd but PTSD complicated by head injury where I had brain damage. when I first saw the psychotherapist, I was presenting symptoms synonymous to BPD but was under huge trauma.

*nods* labels can be really problematic @PeppiPatty... That's why sometimes we have to work hard to see past the stuff to the pain underneath? 

thanks Chemonro,

Like that artwork. Of yours. I must remember to photo embroidery I want to show Hobbit and Sandy.

I. Going to be honest joeflood, please keep me updated on private vs public medical. I didn't find any difference in the state I love in except there wasn't emergency beds in the private......anyway, If I remember approx. Only 30 accessable beds (bit over) in public.

Hmm must say I have not yet confirmed there are private crisis/emergency psych beds in Vic. Can anyone say if there are such beds?

Hi @joeflood 

That's a very good question - which I don't have the answer for.

Can anyone else help out with this?

My advice would be to call the private health insurnace company and ask them. I would hope they would know.

How are things, by the way?

Well amazingly enough the hospital have come good. They've pretty well stabilized her over several weeks and found her a decent clean place to stay afterwards, where she will be moving on Mon. She's happy.

It's a pity you have to beat them around the head with a cricket bat for months before they will actually take on board what common sense should tell them immediately - but I've found in the past that hospitals are like that, every time there's a staff rotation you have to educate all the new guys. Still, in the end - hospitals are there to help people, and in the end they will probably do it ....  if you don't die first.. 

I'm really glad to hear that.
I hope things stay on track.

Thanks for the update. I'm sure you have a lot to offer others here in the forums too.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance