Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: The Challenges of Mental Health Wellbeing

Thanks for explaining that to me @Sans911 . I'm 20 so a big age difference haha but age is just a number, right? And congrats on being a nurse for 20 years, that's great and inspiring!

How cute about your Cats.

I'm glad you've been here for a while and made some online connections, that's great to hear, good on you and anyone else who has made online friendships through here or anywhere too.

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles and diagnoses. I myself have diagnoses of: Major Depressive Disorder, Anxiety (or Generalised Anxiety Disorder) and Social Anxiety, Paranoia, PTSD and Avoidant Personality Disorder. Yes I've been diagnosed with all of those, although I knew about them except the AVPD (I didn't know much about it either, it's hard to explain).

As for the rules, fair enough, thanks for mentioning those too and sending the link, I'll read through it 

Take care, hope to see you and everyone else around too, I hope you're doing alright at the moment. I'm here if you'd like to chat about anything xx

You're around the forums a lot tonight @Former-Member so I don't want to wear you out.

I'm doing OK tonight after a few tough months. I have been volunteering at an op shop this afternoon so I'm just relaxing outside with my cats.

Evening @outlander - sounds like another tough day. Hugs my angel 💕💕

@Snowie- try not be ashamed of any behaviours that you do atm. You are doing the best you can. Nothing to be ashamed about. And you got help or discussed your feelings with a nurse. I know that's hard for you. Try to be a little gentler on yourself. 💕💕💕

@Zoe7 @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member you are all in my thoughts many times a day. I might not respond much but I try to follow what's happening for you 💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

@Shaz51-grr to people who are preachy and judgy. I'm not surprised that you are tired. Take care of yourself 💕 💕

You're not wearing me out @Sans911, no one is so you don't need to feel that way, it's all good. If anything I like when people chat to me and support my comments, even if it's just a hello.

I'm sorry that you've had a hard couple of months, but that's nice that you're with your cats and volunteering at the local op shop.

If it makes you feel any better, things haven't been the best for me either, but it's okay it doesn't matter. Just a bad experience with my old GP, I've new found a new one so that's sort of a relief, because the new one is polite, caring and actually knowledgable, the old GP was just useless and carefree to say the least, reckons my Psychiatrist should do all the work so talk to me/give me therapy, prescribe meds, everything. I mean yes he can do that and he does but that's what a GP is for especially in between appointments and if anything is urgent? Ugh. And the triage won't help me or tell me who can, they say they just admit people because my Psychiatrist did a referral for me there, and they were all so rude and said that they don't know why he wasted his time, wow. So I told him this and defended him. Yes he knows about my struggles, the GP, etc. I'll let him know I've changed GPs and whatnot too.

But enough about me, I feel like I'm being selfish which isn't intentional, I apologise.

Again stop apologising @Former-Member. You're much too hard on yourself. There's no need for sorry here (but I'm probably guilry of doing it too). And it matters a great deal that things haven't been ok. It sounds like you have some real struggles with professionals who aren't supportive of your mental health and that's not alright. You're already doing it tough, and you need good people on your side. People that care, are invested in you and will work with you and what you need. It makes me so cross that there are GPs out there that were like your old one. My current gp is pretty amazing. She's very supportive and caring, and has been so kind during really difficult times. Good on you though for sticking up for yourself. It's not easy but it's necessary.

I've has my share of unhelpful professionals over the years. I've had many negative comments and things thrown at me when I was really unwell. I don't understand their attitudes. If they don't like what they are doing then they should get out.

And I see no selfishness either. You can talk as much or as little as you want. Sometimes I do all the talking with others in the forum. Other times I'm quite and might just hit the support button. It's all good.

I love having you behind the support button @Sans911 - that little bit of connection when you can manage it is enough Hon Heart

Sorry @Sans911 , I fell asleep. Thanks for your kind words though.

Well yeah, you're right about the health "professionals", I'm sorry you and many others have had bad experiences too. It's a joke, not just with mental health but with anything, it should all be taken seriously. As you said, if they don't like their job and have no knowledge, why work in that field and how did they get the job anyway? It takes a lot of courage to seek help for mental health and to get treated like that doesn't help, this is why some people don't seek help, aswell as not affording it, there's a lot of things.

My Psychiatrist is great though, first one I've had and I won't be changing. He gives me therapy as much as he can because he's the only professional I have, and I've done the stuff he's suggested so far. We have a laugh instead of all the "doom and gloom" if you will. He always smiles and puts me at ease and I don't know why but his voice is just comforting to me, like I feel better when I talk to him, you know? I see him on Skype (Telehealth) through this company though so if I need to pass on a message I email the company and they pass it on to him which I feel like there's no privacy but they have to do what they have to do I suppose.

He always says "nice talking to you," "take care", stuff like that. Has a lot of knowledge of stuff, and that's what I wanted in a therapist, I'm thankful for him, he's helped me. So that helps, I trust him a lot. He makes me feel better and at ease.

Thanks for saying I'm not selfish and for the kind words, same to you and others xx

thank you for the hugs @Sans911 HeartHeart

hello @Former-Member , @Zoe7@outlander@WriterMelb 

how is eveyone tonight xx

Hi @Shaz51 and everyone else.

Hugs to everyone also. I'm ok, a bit down. How about you and the others here?

Today is quite ok. Yesterday was horrid and difficult. 

what's more senior than senior ....... ......... contributor? 😊🙃

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance