Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Christheart
Senior Contributor

Protective factors

I learnt yesterday about protective factors. 

It's funny that 1 of my protective factors is debt. I have debt that I have decided I need to pay off before I could end my life. I couldn't let it be palmed off to my parents. I would be too ashamed to consider that. 

My other protective factor is my parents. 

I don't think I will be able to clear my debts for atleast a month or two. By then I will have seen a new psychiatrist and potentially be starting new medication. I don't know. If I make it out of this hole I will be so surprised. I'll dance down the street praising God. I'll buy a ticket to Europe and go to all the places I've always wanted to go. I'll take a bee keeping course. I'll share the gospel. I'll learn piano. 

Sending kind thoughts to you all

Christheart

41 REPLIES 41

Re: Protective factors

My daughter is my protective factor. 

🎀

@Bow ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

So true @Christheart @Bow - these protective factors help us manage even the darkest days.

They speak to our true values and reminds us why we keep fighting though tough it may be.

For me, children, work (responsibility) and my faith are my protective factors.

It's also good to note that protective factors can change and shift over time and be dependent on circumstances - this is totally okay, too!

Thank you for initiating this very important thread @Christheart .

tyme

Thank you @tyme 

I love you people 

My family is my protective factor @Christheart but so is my training squad as I keep thinking “wait until after nationals”

@Eve7 what are you training for? 

I've never been this close to suicide so I'm just discovering these safety plans and protective strategies. 

Sending love to you 

Christheart 

That’s makes a lot of sense @Eve7 . I resonate with what you are staying about work.

evening all
what is "protective factors" ?

Wow @Christheart 

I needed that today. 

Protective factors

is my dog

24 yrs of debt 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance