Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Capricorn28
New Contributor

No insight and no support

Our son, 30yrs, has no insight into his mental
Health. Over last 5years he his psychotic episodes have become more frequent and more intense. He has been admitttd into hospital 3 times involuntarily and received meds Under a community treatment order for 12mths. That was 4 years ago. He no longer works, left uni right at the end of his course and rarely leaves the house. He has no income, is in financial stress from excessive credit card use which is causing immense stress and intensifying his mental instability with paranoia and delusions of government organisations and authority all being corrupt. Recently he has had encounters with the police with the last results by in a pending court case. With all of this going on and escalating we, his parents are doing everything we can to support him and continue to try to encourage him to seek advice and help. We have no idea if he s diagnosis ... he won’t tell us and has told the MH clinic and the police they are not to talk to us. So they don’t under privacy laws they can’t. He is living with us. We can’t get anyone to guide us or advise us on how to communicate with and help him. Today he was over the top and confrontational all day so we had to leave the house to get a break and have some breathing space from m his constant barrage of ramblings and paranoia . I don’t understand how a person with MH diagnosis can demand that no one talk to us . We want to help him . He has no insight into his own condition so wont seek help and continues to wear us down. We love him so much and won’t turn him out . He needs help but he won’t seek it and we don’t know what else to do.
1 REPLY 1

Re: No insight and no support

Hi @Capricorn28

I don’t know that I can say anything that will help other than I know how hard it is to be worn down by the mental health issues of a family member.
I do agree about the privacy issue and being cut out in trying to get help especially when said person lives with you. We have faced the same situation with our son. So annoying that dr’s are happy for us to dole out meds but “privacy” is touted when things go pear shaped and we need support and help.
I too don’t understand how someone with mental health issues can have more rights than concerned immediate family members. That we stand on the side lines having to wait until things are drastic and require an emergency admission to hospital when it could have been averted by the insights of parents and partners.
Hoping for you that things improve and you have continued opportunities for time out.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance