Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Can I cope being a carer?

Sending you hugs @Am3089 HeartHeart

yes when my husband was in hospital , he only wanted me to be there which was hard for me as you had to make a decission when the doctors see you

hope you can do some self care for yourself to my friend

keep in touch , you are not alone , we are here for you

@outlander @utopia @Shaz51

Hey everyone, I am so sorry I have been MIA for a quite some time. Things have been hectic, not just with my mum but also my sister.

Mum fortunately is slowly on the mend - she is still in hospital but there is talk of her being discharged soon. I need to have another meeting with the doctors but from what I understand it isn't dementia - her psychosis was resurfacing. I'm relieved the docs didn't just diagnose her with dementia as she was displaying symptoms of it but she wasn't 'text book'. Big relief there. She doen't remember a lot of what happenned when she was extremely ill. I'm relieved actually as it would be very distressing for her. 

I have taken her out for a few outings which has been lovely and she stayed home overnight on Monday night so we are making big progress. She has been in the mental health facility since the middle of May. I think it will take a bit of time for both of us to get used to mum being back home again! I'm telling myself though we just have to see how it goes and not get too stressed about it myself.

My sister tried taking her own life at the beginning of last month. She was in ICU for 2 weeks - in an induced coma, on life support and all of her organs were failing - they had to put her on dialysis. It was a miracle she survived - the doctors couldn't make any guarantees she was going to survive as she kept deteriorating. I had to keep it together and be there for her, and for my mum. She is still in hospital but is awaiting transfer to a psychiatric ward in another hospital when a bed becomes available.

It has been so stressful for me, and so emotionally draining - running back and forth from my mum and my sister. My best friend was my saviour and one of my cousins has supported me so much - and cooked for me 🙂 hehe

So, once again I am sorry for not getting on here sooner. I would love to hear how you are all doing.

xx

Oh my gosh @Bella1978 while it is so good to see you theres no need to apologise for not being here.
Im glad your mum is on the mend and its not dimentia. I guess thats abit of telief for you..

Im so sorry about your sister. I really hope she recovers and gets the help that the needs.

Im really glad youve had your friend as offline supports. Big hugs for you ❤

Thanks @outlander *hugs*

How have you been doing love?

x

Hugs @Bella1978 HeartHeart

Wow @Bella1978 - what a journey.  Can't believe your mum is still in hospital. I'm  glad they took their time to be certain of what was going on.  Not all mental health follows the text books.  So lucky she is in good hands. 

Prayers for your sister.  A miracle she pulled through.  Very lucky to be alive.  You must be exhausted. 

hi @Bella1978 how are you going? Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance