Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

Yes I hear you @Determined 

I have boxes and bags overflowing ready for op shop drop off from over a year ago.

I seem to very very talented in creating piles.

Perhaps we can come up with a new title other than hoarding and decluttering.

Any ideas?

How about Piles?

Hmm that suggests medical issues we do not need any more of those.

As for garden well yes storms, leaves and branches are misbehaving.

Everyone keeps on saying that spring is coming.

Spring can bring some helpers along.

Know all about chainsaw. Husband used to give wood away or green bin smaller piles.

We are tossing up with idea of getting a wood heater even though we have ducted heating and cooling; solar panels.

Electricity prices are taking control.

Nice to see you about.

Sophia

ps @Determined 

I have plenty of spare boxes that I am collecting for when I get around to more decluttering

😮

LoL @Sophia1 

Moving house was a catalyst for me last time. Not planing on doing that again if I can help it. Except maybe to escape town and noise. But that would be price prohibitive now. Prices are stupid on small acreages now. Last move was only to enable care of parents in old age. Bigger house but had to move to town to achieve it. I will do anything for them not to be in a home. Juat FIL now 🥺 but it has been a true blessing having him so close. He is mostly independent but would not be possible all by himself. 

That is a kind act of love @Determined 

You give so much to your family.

We moved also.

We left acreage and downsized.

Built a new home.

Then after witnessing it looking lovely for a few weeks had to retrieve, yes you guessed it, storage from three places.

Well even though husband took stuff to dump that was antique and I am horrified we still have enough furniture and belongings to equip three homes!

I have been holding onto most of furniture for unwell older son who wants to move into own rental; now out of his financial capacity and he is refused due to stronger evidence of unwell state of mind.

I think that I am going to have to come to terms by the end of this year that furniture must go.

He is still in denial of health after what they believe to be onset from 38-39 years ago.

I cannot see him changing his mindset now. I wish that I had the money to take him over to Denmark or Sweden or other holistic treatment styles as he has never had a proper diagnosis only via detainment.

Also have piles for shredding.

That is like watching paint dry and creates such a mess.

Might go into cardboard and paper recycling business.

What do you think?

Sophia

@Sophia1 yep

When we moved I took to the dump as much or more than we moved .

19 years in the same house we managed to accumulate some treasures. 

Had a pretty big bonfire as part of that process also lol. 

Will be having a 'camp fire cook out'

To resolve my paper and cardboard issues.

Fireplace in the yard is acceptable with some chairs around it 😄

Re Decluttering 

It sounds like you are attempting too much at once. Start small and get rid of a few papers (3-6) at a time. Try that every day and the clutter will decrease slowly but surely. Re-piling stacks of boxes will not help reduce it. That is as much as I can do to maintain some semblance of being able to find things. Some weeks there is a mess and at other times I catch up. Visitors think my place is tidy but I know how much clutter I have. I find it an ongoing annoying job. @Sophia 1

Hello @Max33 @Determined @Sophia1 @Shaz51 I have piles of boxes too. I'm tackling papers a little at a time. Personal papers go into the shredder but other paper and cardboard goes into the recycling bin, so it's not building up. 

I'm trying not to "churn" the stuff... it's tempting to trawl through it and just rearrange it but it needs to be dealt with. I'm making steady progress. Some will be filed but most can be discarded or given away.

Hello @Dimity      Decluttering

When I go to the mailbox I sort out what I don't need while standing at the Recycling bin. The brochures and advertising I don't want go straight in the bin before I go inside = decluttering before it becomes too much.

That sounds ideal @Determined 

I love campfires, indoor fires, fire pits.

Mesmerising.

We  do not have enough clear, safe space due to our gigantic gum tree and garden designs.

Love the vegetables in alfoil in the fire and of course the toasted marshmallows to follow.

Be careful. Stay focussed and alert around the fire which I know that you are fully aware of; however carer overload can easily creep up and mask these natural safety responses.

Have a marshmallow for me.

Sophia

Hello @Max33 

Yes it does sound like that and presently getting up every day, eating, checking on unco-operative husband let alone receiving very alarming, unwell text messages from son takes up so much of the little energy that I have.

Depleted is the word.

Motivation minimal.

Decluttering is always on the to do list and just gets pushed further down.

My priority is to get outside as have been self-isolating from the world.

Get back into my rehabilitation from surgery. Surgery end result of injury after carer/life burnout.

Catch up with friends whom I have put off far too many times.

I have been looking into respite for myself and that is a going around and around in circles experience.

I am following up something tomorrow.

Sorry to sound so negative.

I am being realistic.

I understand and agree with your theory start with the minimal.

I just need to find time to get to the start button.

I will get there.

I applaud you for getting there and your contributions.

I do appreciate your responding too me and apologise if my flat response does not come across that way.

Sophia

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance