Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Teresa1
Casual Contributor

Autistic daughter

Please let me know how to deal with my autistic daughter who won’t leave my home to go out . Please advise how I can deal with this 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Autistic daughter

Hi, I'm not sure I can really offer any solutions, but sending you hugs and virtual support.
I'm also currently looking for miracles on how to deal with my daughters challenges and behaviours.
I have a paediatric appointment this week so will be asking her for advice. Maybe you could also ask advice from your daughters paediatrician?
Good luck, it is a hard road at times. All you can do is breathe and look after yourself, so ultimately you can look after your daughter.

Hi @Teresa1 ,

I'm sorry to read that you are finding it hard to get your daughter out of the home. It must be very frustrating to see this. 

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your daughter? Are you linked in with any services?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

tyme

Thank you .. she’s 19 what services can I access ? 

Hi,

I'm going through a similar thing with my 24 year old. She didn't leave the house for 2 years at all during lockdown as she was scared of everyone wearing masks. She has slowly built up outings a little bit. She accesses services through NDIS we live in Gippsland and go through Gippsland Support Services. A support worker picks her up once a week and takes her out. There's not much to do around here so they usually go to the shops and do a little shopping. Is there anything your daughter really loves to do? Is she high functioning? Neighborhood houses are inclusive places. I understand why she wouldn't want to go out if the world seems really confusing and overwhelming for her and people can lack empathy or understanding. Being at home she can control her environment and her world. Have you tried reading Son Rise by Bear and Samahria Kaufman, I was completely lost until I read it. Still struggle everyday and my family and friends don't fully understand the sacrifice. Feel like it's killing me slowly the stress. Got to keep going. We played Monopoly yesterday and want to build up these kinds of activities together. I hope I haven't just yacked on about me and if you reply and I don't respond its only because Im new to this and don't know how to get back into chat. Wishing you and your daughter all the best. Stay strong.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance