Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: 8 dimensions of wellness

@Former-Member @Appleblossom @Shaz51 @Scoo @FindingStrength 

keeping my physical health became a priority for me just before my son became ill and I am very grateful for the timing of the changes in routine that I was able to implement and embed as part of my daily routine.

if I am physically unwell, I am able to help my son or my husband who also has medical issues.  In 2015, I lost over 20 kgs and have managed to keep it off.  I now feel quite edgy if I can't exercise daily and this simply involves walking which is free.  My son knows and understands that music and walking is my time and that it is important to me.  When my son is very unwell, I walk around the hospital or when he is asleep.  

Exercise actually gives me energy to carry on and gives me thinking space.  I like the outdoors and take my dog most days.  Since changing my routine, I have had very few, if any colds, even when others around me have been sick.  

My GP is also my son's GP, so he keeps an eye on my physical health and reminds me of my regular check ups.

i know eating well and doing exercise takes time, motivation and effort, however the benefits are fantastic!

@Boo13 @Former-Member @Appleblossom @Shaz51 @FindingStrength 

I am doing well at looking after my physical health in some aspects eg regular exercise (gym and walking) and I eat healthy meals and maintain a good weight. I started going to the gym 10 years ago to improve my own mental health. I've made it a regular part of my lifestyle. I get plenty of sleep (it's my favourite past time). However I fail dismally when it comes to alcohol use and I drink more than what would be considered "safe" levels of alcohol consumption. That's my crutch so to speak and I am well aware of it 🍷

Former-Member
Not applicable

That is exactly one of the injuries we are trying to avoid as carers @Appleblossom  and I think there has certainly been improvements along the way. 

How are you managing with your back now?  Are you feeling supported in the management of this? 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Well done you @Boo13  for taking control of your own health needs and prioritising them. I am sure the family have benefited from your healthier eating and that your little dog wouldn't want to miss going out with you. 

I found having the same GP as Mr D to be helpful.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Scoo 

We all have areas we could improve in and I know @Shaz51 and her husband are trying to reduce intake.

I am trying to avoid late onset diabetes which runs in the family. 

hello @Scoo , @Former-Member , @Boo13 , @Appleblossom , @FindingStrength , @Libra , @Former-Member 

I am doing ok at looking after my physical health, keeping active ,  eat healthy meals and maintain a good weight.

but because of my physiclal problems

But I  sometimes overdo things when working

trying to find the right balance , I think cutting back will help us both

yes @Scoo , we have not had a drink for a week

mr shaz really wanted one tonight after our big day -- instead we brought no sugar coke

@Former-Member, I have diabetes and kidney disease and other problems and cutting back on carbs and i have splenda instead of sugar

Former-Member
Not applicable

I am somewhat Reubenesque  @Shaz51 🦛.

Thank you @Former-Member 

Maybe. Finally. Is the answer to your question about current support.  I have 12 extra allied health service sessions this year in my plan, but the damage can never be repaired and the reality of my son being raised by a mother in agony, transmitted more trauma.

I think it is the transmission of trauma that is more often an issue.  I have had vague uneducated comments about which mental illnesses are genetic etc ... all my life ... by people who dont have a clue about genetics. 

I rode a bicycle and swam when I met my husband. I was very fit and healthy and had a good education and work history. I ate whole foods and did not drink alcohol.  Within 5 years my physical health was destroyed (musculoskeletal system). It happened gradually but within the observation of doctors, due to the baby I took on having 2 Schizophrenic parents. The doctors were varyingly supportive.  The Family Therapist was better than the private psychiatrist dude who got defensive about his career and being sued .. hmmmm.  The reality was it was an uphill learning curve for them as well.  In the close parenting realm the borders between and physical, emotional and social are not very clear. I had a baby within 16 months, so 2 littlies close together. I did not expect the level of betrayal of my needs to the degree that occurred. 

After I left husband first thing I did was join a gym and do rehab work  for 10 years. It definitely helps, but it is important not to assume that good food and exercise are all that is needed. Sorry about rant.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance