Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Paty1436
New Contributor

adult separation anxiety

I am 64 years old and suffer from Adult Seperation Anxiety, I have had this for quite a few years.I have even be hospilized due to my depression .My daughter recently returned home and I have not be able to get ontop of my saddness. My family and friends tell me just to pull myself together.  But at this present moment it is so hard. I realize some people will think this is trivial matter but for me it is so real and heart renching..

2 REPLIES 2

Re: adult separation anxiety

Welcome to the forums @Paty1436 . It sounds really difficult for you right now so I hope you can form some friendships here as there is always someone online willing to listen and be supportive.

🦋🦋🦋

Re: adult separation anxiety

Hi @Paty1436,

No anxiety or depression is trivial, especially if it has previously resulted in hospitalisation. No one can tell you how you feel, or that your feelings are not important. If your family and friends are telling you to pull yourself together, it suggests that they have very little experience with mental health as that is not helpful to dismiss your feelings like that.

With Covid & this climate of uncertainty, I can understand you may be worried about when you may be able to see your daughter again & how you each will cope with the physical, economic and emotional risks that change so suddenly and dramatically. It is ok to have these worries. It can be overwhelming.

I hope you are able to seek support from a doctor, counsellor, supportive friend, or helpline you trust. It is helpful to be able to talk with someone about how you are feeling, and have them validate that it is ok to feel the way you do.

Perhaps you can remember some things that have helped you in similar situations in the past, or you could try some new strategies.

Maybe it could help if you schedule regular contact with your daughter, or plan when you are next going to talk? I know for me it is reassuring to know when I will be talking to someone next rather than an unknown time sometime in the future. Without a date I am more anxious, but with a date I can keep calmer, knowing it is just X number of days until we have contact again.

Keep in mind the many ways you can stay in contact: phone and video calls, emails and sending photos, as well as social media. It may not be the same as in person contact, but it can still be enjoyable.

Be kind to yourself and do whatever you need to help you feel ok. Soothe your senses with music you enjoy, perhaps a scented candle or bath, foods that you enjoy, going for a walk in a place you enjoy. Don't put pressure on yourself to be ok. It is ok to not be ok. Be kind to yourself, and seek support.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance