Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Tabon
New Contributor

Hi I am new to this forum and the same for probably many of you I am having trouble starting. I was diagnosed with PTSD 18 yrs ago  and then came along chronic Anxiety & Depression. Back then the it was always told to me by the professional support people (Doctors, Psychologists,  Psychiatrists) .. I will call PS for short from now on always told me Depression brought on Anxiety and in time it will go away. After a long time of trying to explain to them they finally reversed this and for my condition they now know Anxiety will bring on Depression . The PTSD for me never fully goes away it is always sitting there in the background and will raise its head again each time another incident occurs. It is very much less than when the original incident occurred and it is so much easier to control with all the assistance in therapy I have had so when it does occur now it only lasts for a short time. But it is still there. It bothers me though when I read all the time that PS say PTSD will go away all together. For many this is so not true. It is there but is just hiding. My simple name for my PTSD  is FEAR. and the fear is always irrational fear and to be told to try and rationalise it is like waving a red flag to a bull and telling the bull to stand still...  This condition is so complex and what affects me will not affect someone else the same way.  But what does help me above all the therapy there is out there is knowing I am not on my own. To find this forum is like a huge weight off my shoulders. To be able to speak or chat with other people who also have a condition like me will be a huge help. I don't beleive you can truly understand what a person is experiencing mentally & physically unless one has gone through the same experience themselves. A PS person or partner/spouse,  carer or family member can only support as they will never truly know what we go through. And so with all this my wish is to be able to help someone else along the way and I hope you will be able to help me. I have many more years to live but I don't want to do it all on my own any more. I just want to be able to share how I am feeling with others who understand.  Thanks for  reading my story so far. I look forward to reading yours.

7 REPLIES 7
Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Re: Newbie

Hey, glad you’re here!

What’s something you’ve found useful for self care?

Hello and welcome, @Tabon. It must be the night for PTSD sufferers. I've been talking to several others tonight, too.

It's dreadful, isn't it? And you're right, it's a little different for each of us. Mine is constantly on a simmer, and sometimes it boils over, but I think that part is a common theme. Sometimes it's more subdued when I have my mind occupied and I'm doing something I find enjoyable. Just posting on here can take me out of a dark place and it lifts my mood enormously when someone responds and just cares; or I'm able to help someone feel not so alone. People need each other, don't we?

You are certainly not alone here, or with PTSD. There's something very wrong with the society we live in that so many people are so traumatized. The people on this forum have kept me going these past several years, and given me an education while doing so. They have simply done so very much for me. I'm sure you'll find understanding here too. 

Take care, @Tabon. And welcome.

hanami
Senior Contributor

Hi there @Tabon 

Welcome to the forums. I'm hanami, one of the peer workers here at Sane. It takes great strength to reach out and seek support from others so you should be proud of yourself for taking that step ❤️.

I can sense the pain you're feeling in your words and want to say we are all here for you here and reach out whenever you need. 

I thought this page and this one here might be helpful for you to have a look at as a resource about PTSD. 

Looking forward to seeing you around here and chatting some more in the future,

sending hugs

hanami 💮

Hi @Tabon,

Welcome to the Forums. You have found a great place to find other people who can relate to what you are going through. Just the fact that you have posted is a great start! 

It's great you are going to therapy and getting support - I think support from family, friends, professionals, peers, etc. can be such a powerful tool in helping people cope and deal with things they are struggling with.  Like you said, just knowing another person can relate to how you are feeling and knowing you're not alone can give us strength.

I totally agree with you when you say unless someone has gone through something you can't really understand how it feels. A family member of mine has suffered from a serious mental illness for many years and I am pretty much his only support (except for his professional support team). So as a carer I know how I feel from my perspective but I really don't know what it is like for my family member mentally and physically. I know people can be empathetic and try to understand but unless you actually live something you really can only imagine or base what you know or understand on information from others. 

I wish you all the best on your journey. So glad you found this space and you shared your story with us.

Take care and best wishes,

FloatingFeather

Christheart
Senior Contributor

Hi there @Tabon 

Firstly, I am so sorry you are experiencing this fear. Fear is horrible 😪 

I too struggle with severe anxiety and depression. It is easy to lose hope, but hope is the one thing that can never be entirely destroyed, it can always grow again. 

I hope for you and for me that our best days are ahead of us

Christheart

utopia
Senior Contributor

Welcome @Tabon .

I too have Depression and Anxiety.  My Anxiety for the most part is controlled,  unless I'm experiencing a very high stress event.  My Depression can be severe,  but at the moment,  my meds have me in remission.  So I'm doing well. 

I was also diagnosed with PTSD.  But I was lucky in that it was a single trauma incident and I got the right Therapy treatment for me at the time.  So I no longer suffer from PTSD or Panic Attacks.  As I said,  I've been lucky. 

I hope you have a look around at some of the threads here on the Forum.  Feel free to join in on any conversations that interest you.  And be sure to check out the Social Threads,  for when you just want to relax and chat among friends. 

I hope to see you around here. 

@Tabon
You have nailed it!
What you have just said is me to a tee!
It comes and goes.
It is a disability that wont truly ever go away. We just learn to manage it.
There are times that are low, medium , high- then the super high ( or lowest of lowest days ) that we suffer. If that makes sense.
Am glad that you are here and hopefully we all can help support you.

Hope your day is going well JP81 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance