Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Jake63
Senior Contributor

Introducing myself!

Hi everyone, 

I am just posting here to introduce myself. 

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with a language processing disorder by my psychiatrist. The diagnosis did not shock me, I had been having some issues a lot lately with my family and my diagnosis had really help contextualise the issues I had been having with my mum and dad - like, a lot!

I currently miss my best friend a great deal. She has been overseas basically all this year and she is set to return in August. My best friend and I have been friends for more than 7 years. I miss her a lot, but in 2 months time she will be home! 

In the meantime, I am writing a novel and having a wonderful time doing lots of research for my novel and of course getting the writing done. I found that the reason I enjoy writing my novel so much is because I get to do two things I love a lot: research and write. This takes up a huge amount of my time. 

I am looking forward to talking to you all on the forums. 

Wishing you all the very best of health and happiness. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Introducing myself!

You know, I'm convinced I've for a fair measure of of audio processing disorder. I tend to hear contingently sometimes. Like, did they fox, locks, box, bunch, brux? That sort of thing.

Once someone said "I'll get you a copy." and I thought they said "I'll get you a puppy." I really felt the absence of the puppy that time, as well. A puppy would have been so much nicer than a silly form.

Just looked up LPD and the two types. You seem good at expression in this written format. Maybe you're more like me, having issues on the receptive side. Or maybe writing doesn't hold the same challenges, hence the novel-writing. Either would make sense, I guess.

Welcome @Jake63 !

Great you can connect with us here on the forums. Since you love writing, you’ll fit right into our text-based forums - it might even fill some of the void while your friend is away.

Catch you later,

BPDSurvivor

This is precisely the hope. I am not a frequent poster on online forums -- not at all. But I look forward to connecting with others more on these forums in the future. 

Hello @Jake63, I'm just dropping in to welcome you and say that I hope your get a lot out of the interactions and posts of fellow forumites.

Writing a novel would be an enormous task, but such a sense of achievement when it's done. Good luck with it. What sort of novel is it? At least you have something to keep yourself busy while your friend is away.

Hi! 

Thanks so much - I look forward to interacting with others on the forums very much. 

I always find it a difficult question to answer when people ask me what my novel is about. So I suppose what I can say is it examines themes relating to family, wealth, mental health, philosophical themes including (but certainly not limited to) truth, epistemology, authority figures, and metaphysics. The main character himself is named Emerson, he is only twenty one, he is a writer himself, his father Rodger is a billionaire, Rodger attempts to buy Twitter but is unsuccessful. And then Emerson becomes very unwell. There is also a double murder, and the novel is set in my hometown (I daresay I would be able to tell you what my hometown is on this forum so I cannot say, at least I do not think I can say.) 

Very warm wishes to you. 

P.S: as a history lover myself I totally dig your handle!

Totally right? I think that is correct, I believe my issue is more in the comprehension of language - perhaps mainly spoken language. I wasn't aware there are two types.

I feel as though I do just fine in interpreting written language much more, because quite often I ask people to explain things to me by writing down what they are saying and then I am much more able to understand them. A 'physical' ostensible word is more 'concrete'.

And believe me, I totally get that words are far from concrete: one cannot exactly hold a word in their hand!

Great to hear from you, @Jake63. That's a busy, complicated book you're writing but it certainly sounds like you have it well thought out! I don't know how you will keep all the threads untangled! I wouldn't know how to start writing a book. Have you done any writing before? Is it for a particular audience? Have you started or just getting all your information together?

I'm pleased you like my handle. Thank you. Does yours have significance–without giving anything away, of course. Finding handles, and having to frequently renew passwords does my head in. I can never think of anything new or memorable.

Anyway, all for now. I'm off to bed–hoping to get warm for the first time today.

Take care, and thank you for your warm wishes. Same to you.

Welcome, @Jake63 ! Your novel sounds fascinating! 

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply to them. 

I hope you find the forums supportive 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance