Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Bow
Senior Contributor

Re: Hi all

Oh I have very much been made to feel like that too on a medical ward @Ausgirl I was tubed and spent 4 weeks on a medical ward last year and I felt like a waste of space, that I was faking it and in the end I was told I was being sent home no matter what my oral intake was….. so my tube was basically pulled out and I was sent home within the hour. Rather traumatic in the end. Medical wards are helpful cause we are physically unwell, but they don’t understand the mental side of things. And psych wards aren’t equipped either way really. 

oh that does suck about the medical portals. The hospital notes and my community mh notes are all combined here, which is really good. Although I don’t overly like that hospital staff can all see my mental health stuff cause it makes it hard when you go in for physical stuff, all they see is the fact I have a psych history. 

blood tests can be really invalidating!!! They don’t show the true struggle we are dealing with every day. When my bloods are bad it’s like good job ED. It’s reward. I hope that some good can come out of your appointments tomorrow! It’s always best to be honest, no matter how hard and confronting it is 🙂 

do you have an ED mental health care plan? It’s different to the usual mental health plan. It gives you extra psychologist visits… 40 I think. I know that doesn’t solve the gap fee though for you. It also gives you 20 dietitian appointments. I don’t pay a gap for my dietitian. if you have an offical ED diagnosis then you should be able to get an ED plan. 

I’m fortunate that I was finally picked up by my local community mh team. I have a psychologist, case manager and psychiatrist through them. 
i have no need for NDIS at the moment I guess. But am looking at applying for DSP. That stresses me out though. 

how long have you had an ED for? 

@Bow OMG that would be very traumatic for you, being told to go no matter what your intake was. I'm sorry you experienced that.

Totally get the ED voice praising you when bloods are "bad". Does yours do a little happy dance inside your head?!! 

Yeah I need to talk to the GP about the EDMHP. See what they say.  

I do get a psychiatrist alongside with my cm, however, they're not understanding at all. Everyone who has them hates them. I haven't had to see them yet (only just go relinked in to community) but they were working in the psych ward when I was there in Feb so I know what to expect. 

DSP can be a bit hard to get as well, I was fortunate to get on it in 2001, otherwise I'm not sure whether I would still get it. My advice is to get all your professional supports to submit the forms saying why it will help you etc. Also have patience with getting approved... on average 3-4 months, but they do back pay you.  

I've been suffering from the ED since 98, but wasn't officially diagnosed until 2 years ago. How about you?

Bow
Senior Contributor

Thanks @Ausgirl 

yeah, my ED does that. I guess that’s part of my ED, it self destructive side. I’m trying really hard after my recent admission though and I’ve got travel planned next month, so need and want to be well for that. 

id definitely encourage you to talk with your gp about the ED plan, I only really use it for my dietitian, but it makes all the difference. And thanks for the advice about DSP, I will keep that in mind. 

I only developed an ED 2 years ago when alot of things in my life were out of control. Diagnosed 18mths ago. 

@Bow that's wonderful you've got that travel booked for next month, keep it as a good motivator for staying well 💕🌷

Yeah trauma/hard times etc quite often bring ED on. Wish more people realised this... 

@Ausgirl wrote:

I recently had a med ward admission for the ED and the staff there 'hated' having a MH patient on the ward. The little snide comments that were made, refusing to talk at all to me when changing the feeds, administering the meds etc, asking the nursing special 'if they were ok with me' and then rolling their eyes etc...

OMG @Ausgirl , this is terrible! 😮

@NatureLover thanks, unfortunately at this particular health service it happens quite a bit, across a variety of settings- different hospitals and wards (I know other patients who've had bad experiences or I've witnessed things as well).

I spent a total of five months in hospital last year (3 months first time, 2 months second) and the system that's "supposed to care" quite often doesn't.  Yes, I understand that it's a stressful environment, it was/is in the middle of a pandemic, staff are overworked/underpaid etc but that doesn't mean patients don't deserve to be treated with dignity, compassion and respect!!

Anyway, rant over lol... *gets off soapbox*

@Ausgirl wrote:

@NatureLover thanks, unfortunately at this particular health service it happens quite a bit, across a variety of settings- different hospitals and wards (I know other patients who've had bad experiences or I've witnessed things as well).

I'm sorry to hear that, @Ausgirl  😞

@NatureLover Ty much appreciated 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance