Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

JP81
Contributor

Complex PTSD and alone

Hello 

new here. Unsure of what to write. 
Lately i have been having a lot of issues at work. I have been trying to atanf up for myself and allow peoplw to be rude or horrible to me. It seems to be making thinga worse. Ive been feeling extremely emotionally drained and exhausted. Which leads to physicall exhaustion. 
im affraid to leave a job i have been in for over 7 yrs. I have no friends that i can see. And the only ones i have are coleagues at work. I have a pshycologist whom has advised me to leave. Its such a hard thing to do when you have no one to support yoh and its your lively hood. Its how i get to keep my two doggies whom help me feel loved and give me love and gets me doing things other than ceumbling into a ball and hising from the world. 
im lost and feel im loosing if not lost my emotional capasity of caring about anyone ot anything . 
advise would be much appreciated or someone to talk to without judgement. 

Thanks JP81 

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Complex PTSD and alone

Hello @JP81 

Smiley Happy

That your psychologist thinks it is best for you to leave suggests that workplace is probably toxic, and unlikely to change.  They say it is easier to get a job from a job, so maybe trying that, rather than battling them forever. SOmetimes a change really makes a difference.

Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom 

thank you for your reply and taking the time to message me. 

She does say that it is toxic. Leaving has been on mind since i spoke to her last. The fear of not being able to find a job , to meeting new people and starting new is frightening. The unknown is so scary my mind runs away from it.

Being confident to make that step is hard aswell. 
Im exhausted from it all . 

have you any suggestions ? 

And how are you in this crazy world? 

@JP81

A lot depends on what your work experience and trainings are.  Even if you can get some work is better than nothing.  NOt sure where you are and what kind of Covid craziness is around you.  I am in Melb with lockdown and many industries are closed and many people are struggling with isolation.  Reach out where you can.  Often dog walking can be a way to meet people.  Gradually.  Just a smile one day, and then gradually hello and recognition ...

Smiley Happy

My physio told me to walk mainly to get me out and about and meeting people ... socially distanced and all that.

Smiley Happy

@JP81 please do not feel my response is being harsh nor dismissive. I am diagnosed CPTSD with severe depression and anxiety. 

I won't tell you to leave your job. I will HIGHLY RECOMMEND it. It will be contributing to making you more sick. Often people are not aware how sick they are getting because it is the everyday norm. You are unwell partly because of a toxic workplace. 

If you are frightened to leave, talk about your exit plan with your psychologist. Come up with a plan together. 

This is what might seem harsh. At times we really do have to give ourselves a talking to. We create so much for ourselves that is so unnecessary. Easy to do with this illness. Not a harsh talking to, I mean a big dose of reality. Often our thoughts turn into fears that are just not realistic. A good question to ask for every thought is, where is the evidence to support this thought. Current evidence, not past evidence. 

I'm not in a good way myself, so it's all I can offer. I hope things get better for you. 

@Appleblossom 

I live in NSW 

I couldnt imagine what it myst be like in melbourne for you. I hope you are managing. Do you have a puppy or more aswell? 
i struggle with the getting out of the house. Leaving my bubble. 

have you been able to get out and about? 
Do you have loved ones to support you? 
i hope you are well. 

I know i need to make the change. And to do this for myself. And you are right. Anything work is better than nothing. 
i appreciate your time 

JP

@Powderfinger 

thank you for reaching out 

im sorry you are not well atm

do you have support ? 
You have given me plenty and i appreciate that so much 

I do need to evaluate the current fear 

Its hard to distinguish where this is coming from atm. I do know that i need to calm the mind and body. To rest.

i hope you are ok and id like to reach out to you too if you would like to share

thank you very much 

JP 

Hello@Powderfinger 

Smiley Happy

@JP81

Sounds like you might live in regional NSW. 

I am doing alright, thank you. The lockdown has not effected me badly as due to finally getting NDIS support, I have had more social contact, ie physio, OT and support wkr. It has added up to more support than everin my life.  If I did not have that, I may not managed so well.   The isolation really hits young people.

Stay Safe and enjoy the dogs. Did you see the dog thread in the forum?

Smiley Happy

@JP81 you're welcome. I have the support of the folk here. That is all. I'm not very good at talking about my problems to people. Many years of doing life on my own. 34 years in fact. I don't know if I can change that. Some things are deeply ingrained. 

Resting the body and mind is crucial. One day at a time. I've got some other recent posts in here if you'd like to reply. If not that us OK too. 

@Appleblossom hi! 

I'm glad you have NDIS support now. When it first rolled out, I had been let down do badly that I did not want anything to do with it nor go through all the paperwork. I was just bone tired if being let down and it certainly did no good for my trauma. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance