Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

tarhni
Casual Contributor

schizophrenia and not taking meds

My mum has bipolar and has schizophrenic tendencies. She has recently stopped her schizophrenia meds because she said she feels better without them. The first week or 2 were not so bad but now she has become increasingly paranoid. She thinks people are breaking into the house at night and says she has heard them talking and wispering down stairs in the middle of the night. Knowone else has heard or seen anything including the 4 dogs in the house but she says they mustbee bringing food for the dogs. She is not listening to reason and thinks she is fine and refusing to take her meds. I have made an app with her dr about the matter to see if she can convince her she needs them. I am so stressed out and have no idea what else to do as i am the only person in the family that seems to actually care.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: schizophrenia and not taking meds

Does she have a caseworker?? Would your mum voluntarily go with you to casualty where I am sure if the nurses or doc talk to her they themselves will probably hear how unwell she is becoming. My partner has refused meds in the past and this experience has taught me that they only get worse without medical and psychiatric intervention. I wish you the best of luck and please keep us informed

Like @Attahua said ..  or is it possible to get someone from a local CAT (Crisis Assessment Team) to come to her home.

I am glad you care.  It horrible that so many write off people struggling like that.

How old is your mum?

Is there a possibility of FrontalTemporal Dementia or Alzheimers disease?

Paranoia or confused and irrational thinking are not only specific to Schizophrenia-there can be other causes too which are often overlooked.

I have spoken directly with her dr and hoping that she may listen to her as she is not listening to reason from me amd thinks she is doing just fine

She is 46 and has only started becoming paranoid and irrational since stopping her meds so naturally i put it down to that

Hope the doctor visit/conversation helps:)

Are her thoughts becoming irrational about anything else or just about the house intruders?

Hi all

@tarhni @Attahua @ivana 

Just wanted to jump in and let you all know, being that is is Schizophrenia Awareness Week, we will be hosting a Topic Tuesday event this evening in the Carers Forum discussing the myths and misconceptions of schizophrenia. It is scheduled for this evening Tuesday 24 May between 7pm – 9pm AEST.

If anyone is interested, feel free to come along and join in the chatter! Hope to see you there 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance