Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

September
New Contributor

"Anxiety and mild depression"

I have just been diagnosed with anxiety and mild depression. It was done over the phone due to COVID. My GP asked personal questions to which I answered "not at all, a little, sometimes, often, all the time". This was done in the middle of some small talk, where I am from, how long I've been in Australia, what I do for a living. I found it strange. It is also very strange for me to be writing this post now. I've never done anything like this. The next step is a mental health care plan, six sessions, and a beta blocker if I want to, to deal with my everyday anxiety.

Is this the beginning of an endless road with mental health issues? I hope something good comes out of this. I feel hopeless and very lonely, but I also know this is the right thing to do.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: "Anxiety and mild depression"

Hi @September  You are entitled to ten free sessions with a counselor to help you cope with anxiety and depression. My sister has been seeing her therapist for two years and she is a much more confident person. She also has depression and anxiety. You are not alone. I know you feel hopeless,  there is light at the end of this tunnel. Be kind to yourself 🤗🌼💙💚💜xxxx

Hello @September 

Those 6-10 sessions are just with a psychologist and everybody is entitled to them. It does not necessarily mean a substantial diagnosis as they not psychiatrist.  Some people see a counsellor for a few months or a few years ad work things out.  One step at a time.  Certainly does not mean it will be endless.

Smiley Happy

Hi @September 

Good on you for asking for the help. The first step can be so hard. I hope you get some good support

hello @September well done on reaching out. please feel free to have a look around and join in wherever you like. a little forum tip is to put an @ before a members name this way it tags them and they are notified.

please dont be disheartened with a diagnosis, it only helps guide what therapies might be helpful for you. everyone is different, some people feel they can heal in a few sessions or learn enough to cope others take years. theres no timeline and its not a race so you dont need to worry about any of that.
there is alot of help out there so please dont be afraid to use those services to help you out

The questions your doctor asked are part of a K10 checklist to help determine the extent of your depression anxiety and good you have been given a care plan to speak with a psychologist. This combined with meds for a short time will help immensely and no it doesn't have to mean a long road down a mental health path. Sometimes life events can become all too much and we need a little help getting back in track. Exercise yoga and practicing mindfulness all help immensely as well, from my experience and simple actions like focusing on your in breath and out breath for a few minutes can help when anxiety strikes. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and your psychologist will give you all the tools available to reach a good outcome. Wishing you peace of mind. 

Welcome to the forums @September  and I echo what the others have said... well done for taking the first step and getting some help.  
do not put too much emphasis on the diagnosis.... they are just guide words.... and don't put too much pressure on yourself because of these words 

this is just a bump in the road... take a deep breath... and when/ if you do go to see a psychologist/counselor... be honest about your feelings and thoughts...

if you need to talk or you just want to offload there are plenty of people and places here where you will be heard and supported.  Take a look around the forums.

you may not always get an instant answer or reply... but rest assured that someone will be around at sometime to offer a virtual hug... to virtually sit with you holding your hand... or just to chat about anything 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance