Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Moon
Contributor

medication toxicity

I was on a medication for over a month and a half and started to get very dizzy, tight head, breathing was heavy, started to see things that were not there and got angry. I didn't really know what was going on, so had to stop it. I saw a doctor today and he said I had/have med toxicity. I also have pressure in my bladder and it hurts. I am scared it might have caused some kind of damage. I don't know how long this lasts or if it's already working out of my system. Or if I should be getting more help.

Has anyone had something like this happen? It is scary when someone says you had an - of medication and I have never had this before.

It was an accidental - over a period of time from a dosage that is (obvious now) too strong.

I am going to another doctor on thursday.

10 REPLIES 10
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: medication toxicity

Sorry to read about your med toxicity. You're right to get everything checked. Some of the meds can be strong I know from previous experience with side effects. I've never gotten to the toxic stage though.

Hi Moon,

What a horrible scary experience. Well done for recognising the problem, stopping the medication and following up to make sure there's no long-term or permanent damage. (A word of warning: sometimes it's best to get help before stopping, as cold turkey off some meds can itself have pretty hideous side-effects.)

If you are concerned about long term impacts you could Google the name of the medication (preferably chemical name of active ingredient rather than brand name) with "side-effects". That should give you plenty of info about whether what you've experienced is common. Incidentally this is something that is worthwhile doing whenever you are prescribed any new meds before you start taking it.

Personally I am unable to take medication because I either react to just about everything, or it makes no difference whatsoever. The last time I was put on anything it was an SSRI and I had some nasty symptoms  - mainly high BP and unrelenting migraines (the latter got worse before they got better as I weaned myself off the med). This was just before the bipolar was diagnosed (apparently SSRI's are contra-indicated). I also had concerns about long-term impacts. Thankfully after I got the drug out of my system I was fine. I certainly hope the same is true for you.

I've learned to see my inability to take medication as a blessing in diguise - because it forces me to self-manage my bipolar. Even though it has been really hard, especially at first, I have learned lots about listening to my own needs in finding things that are effective for me in maintaining stability.

Best regards,

Kristin

Good on you moon for getting it checked out. Must be pretty scary for you..hopefully some of the side effects will start to reduce soon. Thursday not long now..

Well, I think medication can be difficulkt in a number of areas. I am taking fairly high doses but have my vital signs regularly checked, usually monthly. I was on a fairly heavy med originally and had to go onto weekly, then fortnightly checkes because it can be toxic. I finally went off it after a year because I couldnt tolerate the side effects. The biggest issue I have with medication is when its changed, which can have bad effects on me. I was changed from my usual doses of antipsychotics at a high dose to a much lower dose by a new psych early this year. Because of this I ended up in the mental health acute ward for 2 weeks until the original dose was reinstated. Lesson is that you pesonally have to be aware of how medication effects you in addition to your doc.

Hi Moon,

Sounds like a scarey and very unpleasant experience for you. I'm glad that this did not put you off going to the doctors and taking your meds. As Kirstin pointed out, speaking with your doctor before you making decisions about changng your meds is pretty important. 

Getting information about the effects of medication is also a great idea. It can help you to gauge if your symptoms may be related to your medications. Though err on the side of caution with what you read as it medications can impact on people in different ways, and always ensure that you are reading information on reliable sites as false information, if taken, can be risky. A place that you can call for information about medication is Medicines Line: 1300 MEDICINE. On there you can speak to a registered nurse, who may be able to answer your question on the spot or they can refer you to a medical professional too. 

Hope you're feeling better, Thursday is just around the corner. 

Take care

Thank you. I realise that stopping any medication is not a good idea, especially without speaking with a doctor. My problem was, that I am in a rural area and I was getting scared. Thank you so much for providing that link! If something like this happens again, I have more options and know where there is more help.

I have still felt a bit weird today and had a few anger outbursts that are very unusual. So I am glad Thursday is tomorrow.

Hi moon,

I know what it's like with accessibility problems - I also live in a rural area. I also have tried cold turkey off meds that were having nasty side-effects. I was speaking from experience when I said that can be hideous too :-). 

Thankfully Thursday is nearly here, hopefully this can be sorted for you - whether the dosage is too high or the meds themselves are the problem. Whatever you do keep persisting until it works - it is such an individual thing with these.

There's no one-size-fits-all as the drug companies and some drs suggest. Nor is it set & forget. I think one of the ways you can tell a good psychiatrist is not only whether they are a good and respectful listener (not pathologising), encouraging of your growth, and call you out on your crap; but also whether they monitor and review your medication regularly and thoroughly.

All the best with this.

Best regards,

Kristin

Hi Moon

I also live in a rural area and it is very difficult to get an appointment with a doctor, so well done being able to get a second opinion so soon.  By the time my post is uploaded you should have some answers.

It is useful to note that each State has its own 24/7 advice service like Nurse On Call in Victoria on 1300 60 60 24.  HealthDirect is available in ACT, NSW, NT, SA, TAS, and WA on 1800 022 222.  They can give you advice on any health issue.

My preference is to see a psychiatrist when it comes to medication, rather than see a GP.  If you can't afford a medication review with a private psychiatrist, you should be able to get a referral from your doctor to a psychiatrist working at a mental health service in your area/region.  (I can't afford private health insurance, but I have found the treatment I have received in the public health system excellent.)

Good luck with everything.  Take care and let us know how you get on.

Amber Heart 

Living in a rural area can also be really hard, and sometimes the waiting times for doctors can be long. Thanks for sharing the numbers!

I went back to the doctor yesterday and he wants me to go back on the medication but at half the dosage. I am kind of scared about it, but it might be worth it to at least try. I am also worried I might take it and then think I am having bad symptoms, but not really, the mind playing tricks.

I found a psychstrist I like, but it does cost money to visit them. I also tried a mental health clinic, but they were really bad. It was quite a joke the way they treated me and the 5 minute assessment with their psychatrist. :S Maybe things have changed there, it was only last year though...

Thank you (and everyone) for the support. I have been a bit fragile at the moment too (as I am sure we all are at certain times.)

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance