Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

jamesle2015
Senior Contributor

facing the public I need a break

If you worked in retail before you will know what I mean ........

I love it when customer gets to counter and ask me for something - no eye contact or at least face me when they speak - no they are looking at something important on the mobile or fiddling with bag or they ask me and look behind me or anywhere else to avoid facing me - weird isn't it

I love it when the customer at the next counter eavesdrops and interferes with my transaction - sometimes putting me down for a stupid reason e.g. I can't speak a 2nd language - I should be grateful this doesn't happen a lot

I love it when I have finished a transaction that took a few minutes and the next customer in the queue walks up and uses the word 'just' - I 'just' want to blah blah blah...as though they shouldn't have to wait because they are so important an the air they breathe is a special kind of air that the rest of us can't breathe

I love it when I speak normal Australian English and they say 'what what' - they need to get their hearing test done - I mean do I have to shout ?

I love it when they say the wrong thing, make a mistake or don't communicate clearly then something gets messed up but they try to blame it on me as though somehow it was my fault - too proud to admit their mistakes I'm not exxpecting an apology but they shouldn't try to blame it on me

I love it when I go to work and have to put up with annoying managers who have annoying habits or expectations that they don't apply to customers but for some reason

I have to be better, smarter, faster, remember everything 100% - do everything better than the rest of Australia including all the other retail workers

I love it when it's the end of the shift but they still want to get in the shop even when the door is closed - one of my all time favourites

I could go on but I have put you through enough if you have read this

and if you work in retail you could add a few of your own I am sure

I really need a break - I wish I could stop facing customer for a few months

But have no choice I must work this is my life

2 REPLIES 2

Re: facing the public I need a break

@jamesle2015  Hi jamesie2015 sounds to me like you need to change professions, Have you thought about doing some study to help you switch to a job that has less people contact? I would hate to work with people so I get where you are coming from. Also people have their own baggage and could be dealing with all sorts of problems when they come into your business so try not to take what they do personally. greenpeax

Re: facing the public I need a break

Well I wish everyone would leave their 'baggage' at home..

it would make life much easier

but some people are very annoying - that is how they normally are

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance