Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Hoya
Casual Contributor

as a friend im not sure how much to be involved ....

Having recently made a friend who has autism and schitzophrenia I am learning all I can so as to be a good support and buddy to this guy.  I enjoy our friendship and his unique company.. I encourage him in his efforts to be independant and don't believe in "rescuing", however this evening he was out walking as he usually does, to get some exercise and do a meditation, and the police stopped him, and now he is very paranoid that he is in some trouble... I suggested we go to clear it up at the station ... but I don't know if im doing the right thing. He is doing all he can to look after himself, living independantly for a year now, gave up smoking, does yoga and eats well... and I really have so much admiration, but now im not sure whether it's a good idea for me to try help sort this out ... but having talked on the phone with him it is very distressing to hear how upset he is about this incident, and he has been really going so well for the past weeks.... he has family but they are a long way away, and he has no one else who is around to help. Any suggestions welcome !

7 REPLIES 7

Re: as a friend im not sure how much to be involved ....

It sounds like he needs to be hooked up with some counselling support. There would also be an autism association is his area too. NDIS can provide financial support for he getting access to these services.

NDIS ph is 1800 800 110

Hi @Hoya,

Would you know for what reason the police stopped your friend?

Ie:was it just random because he was a male alone out at night and they wanted to make sure that he wasn't causing any trouble?

If it was just random like this,then it may be enough just to reassure your friend that it wasn't specific to him and that nothing further needs to be done and that he is no longer on their (the police) mind.

thanks so much for your good advice. Yes I believe it was random, and we have talked about how it was from their side .... but he does find these sort of incidents very stressfull, does not find it easy to make eye contact and all that, and obvioulsy from the police's view, could look suspicious, specially as he finds it hard to communicate with strangers.

I suggested that he write a few lines that could be printed onto a card, like a business card, which explains that he has autism and finds communications with strangers difficult.... etc ... that sort of thing.  ,  don't know if others use this, but I have heard of a man who used this method because he had  had a stroke and was often picked up believed to be drunk .

Anyway thanks for all support and feedback

It must be really tough for him.

Especially as he may face difficulties perceiving and interpreting situations,and worrying excessively if he acted appropriately.

Some people with Dementia also use cards like the ones you mentioned and they work providing that the other person (that views it) is already a kind person who has some understanding and compassion.

If your friend walks later at night in an area where it is uncommon to do so,he may want to reconsider that so that way he can avoid future potential stressors or issues occurring.

He may wish to exercise earlier in the day although I don't know how you could suggest this to him in a way that's doesn't come across as imposing on his independance.

thanks for the good info .... i appreciate how you understand well the situation & & how difficult it can be.  Yes "worrying excessively if he acted appropriately"  is a constant issue ....

your comments are really helpful thanks

60 tips for helping people who have schizophrenia from schizophrenia.com

http://www.schizophrenia.com/family/60tip.html
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance