Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Abcd
Contributor

Volunteering while unwell

Hi there,

Looks like my uni is doing everything online next semester. (only having contact with 3 people makes one feel trapped) and summer semester 2019 I felt a bit isolated but less so.

Thinking of taking the next semester off and volunteer somewhere/virtual...

But I don't know where I could volunteer at where people wouldn't mind looking miserable or having concentration issues or getting distressed from flashbacks re mental health. The thing is I heard that sometimes people judge you for not studying..

Does anyone have any ideas?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Volunteering while unwell

Hi @Abcd. Sounds like a good idea to take some time off and volunteer if you're feeling trapped at the moment.

I started formal volunteer work last year. I was hugely full of doubt about how to make my brain work and how I'd be able to cope. I started some peer kind of volunteer work and have found it so great to do. It's given me connection and meaning, and it challenges me to stretch my comfort zone a bit. It was super important for me to choose an organisation where mental health was respected, supported and understood. I was and am able to be open about my mental health and work with my supervising team when I am going through a rough patch.

I don't have any specific ideas about where to volunteer (and would have to be careful about that here anyway with the guideline of anonymity), but finding somewhere that values and respects you can make a big difference I have found.

Wishing you the best with it.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance