Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: To hospital or not to hospital

@Doglover  yes wasn't the best .....  white walls everything so sterile and clincal. Burnt out staff and a kaleidoscope of patients .... where as my daugther went to a private and it was like a hotel .... the difference was amazing. You are such a kind soft individual I would hate to see you go to a public mental health unit and that is the truth. Love peaxxxx

Thanks @BryanaCamp , ur a sweetheart. Yes im so disappointed that i cannot use my private insurance yet so that i can go to a private hospital. From @greenpea  and others posts it seems the difference is like chalk and cheese. I honestly dont know if i could handle the public hospital, i rly dont. I feel dirty the whole time im in there and some of the other patients freak me out, especially some of the male patients. My husband was concerned for my safety and thats one of the reasons i didnt stay when i was technically admitted. My hubby just wasnt comfortable with it, neither was i. I would love to think i could hold out til private health cover kicks in but i cld only do that if things improve from where they are now, which doesnt seem likely given that they keep getting worse.

"Do you feel that hospital may provide relief from every day life & an opportunity to rest?" Definitely not if it was a public hospital, i think i would be on edge the whole time, but maybe if it was a private hospital it might provide that. Unfortunately there is no relief from my physical symptoms which are torturous, and i am getting less and less sleep at night due to those physical symptoms, that there is not much rest being had. If they cld find a way of dealing with that then rest and relief from the pressures of life may well be the result.

Thrs pros and cons to being married or single i think. In some ways it must be hard not having that support, but its also very difficult to be married but not get the support u need from your husband - its a very lonely place to be. He doesnt understand MI and doesnt rly want to try. I know he gets very frustrated and annoyed with me that i cant just "snap out of it". It has had a massive impact on our marriage. I almost think it wld b good for me to go into hospital (private) to giv him a break from having to deal with all of this too. He might realise how much he misses me!

Im amazed at the simple things that r a struggle for u, for no other reason than u seem so clever, articulate and 'together' (as much as u can b with an mi) on these forums. Im sorry that those things r a struggle for u.

Yes i hav fibro, and absolutely the pain increases with the anxiety, and lack of sleep as well.

Great that ur pdoc (is that ur psychiatrist) was able to help with the sleep situation and in turn reduce ur pain levels. We havnt bn successful in finding anything that consistently helps with my sleep. I keep increasing the med im on (under psychs direction) which helps for 1 night then things deteriorate from there. It rly sux. Im at the stage now where i dread going to bed because of the torture that awaits. That is one of the reasons why i think i might need to go into hospital.

This post seems rly long winded, sorry about that!

Thank u for all ur love and support @BryanaCamp it means so much. Im glad i can post on here too and hav ppl like urself provide so much support. Thank u.

Love and hugs to you.

Doglover

Thanks @greenpea , ur such a sweetheart. I wish i didnt hav to wait for this stupid wait time  otherwise i wld probably organise a referral and go into a private hospital straight away. I wonder how much it costs a day - probably something ridiculous i wld imagine.

Yes the public mental health unit near me is the same, so sterile, so old, the rooms are like prison cells, everything is old and run down, i feel like i need a shower every time i step foot in the place. And the burnt out staff too - i didnt see many that looked like they wanted to be there. And they didnt interact with the patients at all. And nothing to do during the day. No visitors until 4pm and no groups or nething to fill in the day. Just stare at the dirty walls or pace the hallways. And some of the patients in there just freaked me out. I didnt feel safe and my husband said thr was no way he was leaving me there! 

Thank u for ur kind words. I do think i wld struggle in there in so many ways. When i was there for 2 days technically as an inpatient but not rly (didnt unpack or anything, just waited for apptments to tell them i didnt want to stay) i was so uncomfortable the entire time, and so was my hubby and theres nothing wrong with him! He cldnt wait to get out of there. So hopefully i can hold out the 6 weeks until my health cover kicks in, but im not confident! Just hav to see what hapns i guess. 

Thanks so much for ur love and support @greenpea . Youre a gem! 💜

PS: Sorry if my post is a bit rambly!

@Doglover  If you can wait the 6 weeks it will be so worth it. I remember going into see my daughter and there was carpet on the floors and everyone had a private room. The staff were all smiling. The list goes on. Hang in there if you can. If not you can always transfer from public to private as long as you are not manic.

@DogloverI hope today hasn't been too bad for you. I know you are weighing up the pros and cons at going private versus public. I hope you can last till your private health care kicks in but you have to put your needs and safety first. 

I hope you can make the right decision for yourself Heart

Thanks heaps for ur advise @greenpea , i will certainly do my best to hold out. Things will need to improve for that to b the case i think. But il certainly try! I dont want to go into the public one anymore than u want me to! The one ur daughter was in sounds nice. I much prefer the sound of that!

Thanks @Snowie . I hav had a very busy day cleaning the house for a rent inspection tmrw so that has helped take my mind off things a bit. And i have very much appreciated communicating with my forum friends on here too. You have all bn so gracious in answering my questions and sharing of ur experiences.

Im going to try n hold out until my health cover kicks in, but i realise there is a very good chance that wont be possible. Will take one day at a time and see how i go. If my symptons get too bad and my sleep gets too bad (like it was last night) il hav to just bite the bullet and go public, but that is a total last resort! My hubby and i dont own much but i was even thinking of selling the caravan to pay for private stay, but i hav a feeling its thousands per day so the money wldnt last long. If it wld cover the full waiting period it might b worth it, but i rekn it wld only cover a week or two so not rly worth it!

Thanks again for ur support @Snowie , i really appreciate it. Xx

Glad you have kept busy today @Doglover 

Taking it one day at a time sounds like a good idea. It is hard sometimes to look beyond that especially when we are feeling really down.

I would not have a clue how much it is per day for a private hospital. Would be interesting to know however.

i hope things work out for you @Doglover
i think i wouldve wanted private too but its not within my budget right now. i hope your policy will kick in soon so you can get the best care and feel safe and comfortable too which is an important thing during hospital stays.

Hi there @Doglover It is good to see you you here in dialogue with  @Snowie @greenpea @BryanaCamp @outlander all of whom have offered their support and ideas about experiences of hospital. I am sorry that you didn't feel comfortable or safe in the public hospital when you were there last time. As Outlander shared, many people have positive experiences with the public system and, even within the one hospital, experiences can vary. 

Just a gentle reminder to be mindful when posting that we don't want to be disrespectful or discourage others from accessing services that may be useful (and sometimes really necessary) for them. As much as possible, please remember to speak from personal experience and not to engage in sweeping/general statements that reinforce those stereotypes about the difference between public and private services.

If you really need to be in hospital at the moment Doglover, then maybe for now it does not matter so much whether the hospital is public or private. Take care

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance