Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Shasan
Senior Contributor

Tips to deal with trauma memories

Hi there,

If anyone has tips to deal with intense graphic trauma memories, I would really appreciate your generosity if you don't mind sharing what works for you - during the intense experience of trauma... I don't know if there's a term like panic attack or anxiety episode,, it's like a trauma episode...

Lots of intrusive images, fearful in nature, heart rate is ok but body and mind feel very tight, really scared.

I tried to practice mindful breathing, inhale for 4 exhale for 6 wasn't helping. It happens during sleep all I just opened my eyes and that helped s little. Tried counting backwards and that hasn't helped either. Tried to console myself with Affirmation I allow myself to feel fear, it's an emotion just like others it's ok... But still quite wound up.

Thanks in advance! 

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Tips to deal with trauma memories

Oops sorry for all the typos in the original note. 

@moderator  it appears this should be in the Lived Experience side of the forums where it will likely get more response.

Hi @Shasan  and welcome to the Sane forums.  Am I right in deducing that it is yourself that is experiencing this, rather than a loved one?  You have posted in the family, friends and carers side of the forums.  I suffer from PTSD and have experienced flashbacks.  It is a frightening experience.  I will try to get back to you later, as I am a bit under the pump right now.  I just thought it was important in the first instance to get your post into the LE side of the forums where you will get more replies.

Emelia 💕

Hello @Shasan 

I would find counting backwards too hard when I am triggered with my brain in extreme overwhelm.  I go for gentler activities, music, gardening, walking, rocking and being kind to me.

Be kind to you while you work through it.

Hi @Shasan 

I've moved your post to the lived experience forum in the hope of getting more support. 

I try counting backwards by 3s but when I am super distressed this rarely works. Affirmations are good but as you said not always working when you're so wound up. I hope someone has some tips for you. 

sending hugs

hanami 💮

Thank you @Emelia8 

I've moved the post. 

hanami 💮

Thank you @Emelia8 

Much appreciate the concern to move the post where is relevant. Apologies, I posted here. I'm a carer and have been using this section and lot of the trauma is related to my parent who has mental illnesses. I guess my question could have been me clear - what do carers do when they experience this in relation to their caree 😊.it's sometimes difficult to distinguish and they often feel enmeshed. 

But I can distinguish clearly now and agree it belongs on the other side as it's definitely my concern, outside of carer concerns. Thank you. 

💕

Thank you @hanami @Appleblossom @Emelia8 for your response and truth.

So, the fear softened a lot after I posted here. Then I tried connecting with breath and doing nature visualisation as I was trying to fall asleep, it really helped and I was able to sleep. Not great quality though and was still having nightmares but within the sleep. 

Clearly a trauma experience and I'll share with my therapist this week. Will update after trying tools they recommend. 

Thank you again 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Apologies are not necessary at all @Shasan .  I had a quick browse and noted that you are primarily a Carer and mostly post on the Carers side of the Forums.  But this post sounded like it was relating to yourself, and thus belonged in the lived experience side.  Thanks @hanami .

I was a carer too @Shasan , up until my husband passed away just on a year ago. He had PTSD relating to his war service.  But getting back to what I do when I find myself in the middle of a flashback or when waking from nightmares.  I usually find that grounding exercises works fairly well for me. You can look that up on google if you don't know what that is, or if you want ideas on how to go about it.  If that doesn't work ... splash your face with cold water.  It is a bit of a shock, but that's the idea I guess.  It brings you back to the here and now.

Emelia 

Hey @Shasan 

That's so great you were able to pull yourself from the thoughts. I think that's such an achievement when we can manage to do that. It would be great to hear any new strategies too. 

hugs

hanami 💮

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance