Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

eudemonism
Senior Contributor

The thought patterns of PTSD element of mental illness from a carers prospective

Is there anybody who cares for someone who suffers from PTSD, and has noticed certain thinking patterns arising, which are getting in the way of the sufferer, being proactive towards leading a healthy, rewarding and fulfilling life. -which they'd be capable of, if it were not for the PTSD element of their illness? Take note, some symptoms may be repressed, have manifested into other behaviours or may present themselves in a way-which is hard to deal with. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: The thought patterns of PTSD element of mental illness from a carers prospective

In hind sight I can think of a number of aspects of repeating patterns of thought and behaviour in my siblings and dad, that have a PTSD cast on them.  I was young and tried to do right by them, but the level and variety of causes of complex ptsd would have challenged a current expert, let alone me, a kid in the midst of it all.

@eudemonism

Heart

Re: The thought patterns of PTSD element of mental illness from a carers prospective

@Appleblossomthanks for contributing...
-i've noticed that a few people i have spent time with... go back to the traumatizing past experience/memory (myself included) and talk about it, dwell on it and in away... let it defeat them... they kind of relive the past experience or memory which has traumatised them, and hang onto it, and almost try to resolve something they cannot change, or they make it apart of their identity and their image.
When really they probably have other stuff they'd prefer to be doing and getting on with. But cannot because they are constantly relieving the past experience or memory which has traumatised them.
It's like myself having list of goals; that I've set for myself, and even though these goals are not that difficult or hard.... -before I've even taken the first step toward achieving them.... -i've connected them with my traumas being triggered off, and dealing with the associated stresses. 
And then, I'm resorting to thinking about the traumatizing past experience or memories and begin trying to resolve the trauma... -deal with it so i can move on with achieving my goals.

I hear you @eudemonism

Heart

No romance more of a bromance ... but I am girl ...we are in Australia ... so maybe its a matemance Smiley Tongue

Heart

I always thought you made a lot of sense. I am very used to being a round a lot of paranoid people, and it has been far too long for me to get pulled into anyone person's paranoia, but I do strongly empathise with the experience, and strongly believe that there are always reasons.

Smiley Happy

The new fields of nueroscience and TRAUMA work are so important.  The mind will do loop the loop until the job is done ... bring the situation back to consciousness if we or others try to suppress it.

My mind is doing that too.

Woman Happy

It is ultimately a healing process, but yes sometimes we get stuck, repeat ourselves and others cant be bothered to walk with us while we figure it out.

Smiley Happy

Sometimes I have found that I have to consciously, ambivalently, repeat myself one last time ... as if to check something out ... and then I am done with that particular problem.

Smiley Happy

Sometimes I get an inkling that it is the final ironing out of a wrinkle ...

Heart

I have known far too many schizophrenics to really believe in it as an absolute condition ... only as a label .... they are all too unique ... the similarity of symptoms ... seems superficial.

Smiley Happy

Hope you get back into your drives to beaches and photography with Dog .. and whatever else works well.

Smiley Happy

My partner's thought patterns when leaving the house for an appointment, holidays, work, parties or meetings means a 'last minute stressful rush'. His thought patterns include remembering all the things he has not done in the last 12 hours, 12 weeks, 12 months etc. that he cannot possibly do in the ten minutes left before leaving the house. Having another cigarette and/or coffee before having a shower and getting dressed 20 minutes before having to leave the house. Finally leaving the house and already late or close to it, getting in the car and getting out again to check all windows, doors, spare car keys and any other key is in a safe place (in his pocket or in the car) ... don't ask what/why, as it stresses him more. 

He is a good driver however, is on high alert most of the time and is critical of drivers that appear to be 'giving him a hard time'.   

Trying to find confirmation of how he is feeling on something external. 

Calming / soothing self can involve intense focus on an activity

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance