Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Brokenwing
New Contributor

Schizoid Affective Disorder

My son who had been clearly ill but untreated for 17 years, was hospitalised Jan 2019 and following 9 months in hospital and diagnosed with Schizoid Affective Disorder. When meds did not seem to help he had 12 or 14 ECT treatmenets to which he seemed to respond miraculously.  When I reconnected with him for Christmas this year I was pleased he seemed well and happy to see me.  Since then he has visited 3 or 4 times but each time he has been so inactive, sleeping or watching tv day and night, putting on weight.  Little communication.  Seems he is in decline.  Not sure if this is depression?  He will be seeing the tribunal on Friday for assessment.

I am 74 with mod to advanced emphysema and in high risk for Covid-19.  I want to see my son in a good position to cope if I am no longer around. MIRT team has minimal contact now I think once a week or fortnight.   

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Schizoid Affective Disorder

thank you @Tortoiseshell Heart

hello and welcome to the forum @Brokenwing 

letting you know you are not alone my friend 

will be thinking of you and your son on friday Heart

@greenpea 

Hey @Brokenwing and welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

It sounds like you and your son have been on a real journey. I can imagine how amazing that was when he was responding to ECT so well, but now I can hear how worried you are about him. 

I moved your post here to where it can have its own space for discussion, if that works for you. If you just intended it as an introduction and hello then I apologise and please feel free to repost in the Introduce yourself here thread.  

I hope you find the forums a really supportive community. A lot of people can relate to your experience and you are not alone.  

Take care,

Tortoiseshell  

@Brokenwing  Hi Bokenwing and welcome to the forums. Hi @Shaz51 :).I have Schizoaffective disorder and am on medication. I dont know much about schizoid disorders. I have found medications to work well even though there are some unsavoury side effects. You just have to give them time to take effect .... can be a couple of months depending on the individual. Sounds to be that your son needs to be reassessed by a psychiatrist before he declines further. Keep in touch. greenpeax

thank you for sharing... It has been a journey for sure.  After so many years of trying to cope with my son refusing medical care and meds, I finally had to phone the Acute Hotline and have him admitted, this following months of pressure from the landlord wanting to evict him. It was the hardest thing I had ever had to do in my entire life.

I know I made the right decision as his life would have been endangered out on the street.  Then I felt so guiilty that I hadn't done so before as he conditioned had seriously worsened.   He refused to talk to me for at least 9 months, but we came together for Christmas and he even bought Chrhistmas presents for myself, his brother and my partner (following his receipt of back payment for Disability Support Pension.  That cheered him up, the most money he had since he ceased working in Jun 2013.  We are good with each other now, but am concerned for him.

Kind regards.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance