Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Foolonthehill
New Contributor

Possible Bipolar type 2

Hi,

I am new to the forums here - and any kind of online stuff like this 🙂 - just wanting to ask the kind people here about bipolar type 2 - I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety about 5 years ago but like many people was dealing with it for a lot longer (30 years)... after years on medication and seeing half a dozen different psychologists, I suspect I might have bipolar type 2. The symptoms I read are just so much of what my life is like... I am working full time but struggling to stay at work because it is all so overwhelming... I am scared to go and ask a medical professional about it, as I am afraid they will dismiss my beliefs... that has happened before with psychologists, and I find it very hard to trust them... 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Possible Bipolar type 2

hi @Foolonthehill 

Do yourself a favour and see a good psychiatrist.

Psychologist's job is not to medicate you. They just do talking.

I found a great psychiatrist when my psychologist said there was nothing she could do for me (a rare admission in my experience) but she felt compelled to suggest I see a psychiatrist, one who she worked with on shared patients.

I was so mentally unwell for 7 years I was unemployed, totally socially isolated and terribly mentally unwell for 7 years. Tormented. That all changed when I found this great psychiatrist.

We can't help diagnose you here at the forum. In my experience symptom relief is way more important than diagnoses and labels. If it worked for me it could work for you. Get yourself an appointment with a good psychiatrist - if you don't know one to request then ask for one who is the gender/age you like, experienced with bipolar2. You gotta be assertive to get the help you need, I've found.

Good luck 

Hi BryanaCamp,

Thanks very much for your reply - that is really good advice - I am wary about seeing another psychologist - you are right - the ones I have seen have been such a mixed bag... I will definitely start looking for a psychiatrist to see - I have been unemployed in the past because of this, and I just don't want to go backwards...

@Foolonthehill  if you are going to see a psychiatrist you should probably get a referal from the GP first. you can still see some psychiatrists without one but you cant get any money back from medicare and appointments can be VERY expensive depending on where you live the price varys but mine was about $600 per hour possibly more now but i am very lucky to be getting a discounted rate. i have seen some charging up to $900 per hour but i would avoid those people as that is very unreasonable and personally i would assume they are just in it for the money so to speak, still to get a diagnosis or an offical one anyway you need to see a psychiatrist. but even if you see them it can take time and most dont diagnose bipolar without have access to a long history. i actually saw somewhere that it takes on average over 10 years to be diagnosed once you start seeking support. anyway good luck with it all be patient and also it is ok if you dont like the first person you meet you dont have to see that doctor if you dont click it is ok to ask to see someone else. 

@Foolonthehill here is the road to my diagnosis. I thought I had depression, since around 17 years of age. I had been medicated for that. Then after having two children, going through the motions of raising them. I met some anxiety. I would turn up at school and just cry with some of the lovely ladies there. One was a GP. She said I think you have bipolar . I was already seeing a psychologist. By that stage I was seeing a psychiatrist. Once the GP friend said Bipolar we worked it out that it was type 2. No on medications for both Bipolar 2 and depression. I still get the really deep depression eposides. Even with exercising, eating well, keeping routines, low stress. My main moods are angry, indifferent and depressed. I have to hide lots from my children. I don't want them to experience my anger. My father has PTSD and I experienced his anger as a child.

I found a psychiatrist who listened better than my psychologist so when she and I came to the conclusion I had BP2 it was a huge weight off my chest.  You shouldn't feel judged by your medical carers.  In the end whether you have BP2 or "just anxiety and depression" it's treated the same way with meds and a lot of self care.  Something I'm not good at

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance