Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Corny
Senior Contributor

NDIS Independent Assessments

Hello Sane Forums,

I was wondering if anyone else was feeling very anxious and nervous about the changes that the government is hoping to pass parliament with regard to the NDIS? Or if you participated in the pilot program how was it? I have my first review coming up and I am feeling very worried about it. 

It doesn't help when people with disabilities are dealt with in such a demeaning way, in this article in The Guardian today a young man was asked to put out the garbage to demonstrate his functional capacity.....I find this very upsetting to say the least and disgraceful. After reading the medical reports detailing my trauma history from birth to the present, an NDIS Occupational Therapist through a private provider called me out of the blue to ask if any one had ever taught me how to breathe properly. Because that's precisely where I've failed. No one every taught me to breathe, and if they had I would be cured of PTSD and ineligible for the NDIS.

Not in a million years would they ever call someone with schizophrenia and ask if someone had ever taught them how to breathe. How can I possibly be assessed by educated 'professionals' that don't suppose that civilian women who haven't migrated from a war torn country recently are able to develop crippling PTSD. The autocrat was my father and the war zone was my home.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/mar/07/backlash-grows-over-independent-assessments-p...

Corny 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: NDIS Independent Assessments

I've got my review coming up in the middle of April and from what I'm aware, I won't be having an independent assessment this time around. So sorry to hear about the NDIS OT ringing you up and saying that you just needed to be taught how to breathe.

Hi @Corny 

I think this change in NDIS will be not rolled out until the middle of the year, so maybe your review will not be with independent assessor this time round. I guess this is a way of saving money by the government. I have just been approved for NDIS and so if the independent reviews come in, that won't happen until the end of my first plan. But I have a sense that I may be one of the people that gets dropped from the scheme on the basis of independent review. I am preparing myself for the possibility my NDIS may end up being only for this coming year. 

Thank you @Gwynn & @Mazarita 

The only people lower than me on the Liberal Government's hierarchy of value are people in immigration detention.

I have been reduced to an economic unit. 

I can't understand how the Gov says that their justification is that in the current system, it is biased towards people that can pay for medical reports from a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist, and yet the NDIS is not means tested, no income or assets are assessed. People living in a 25 million dollar home on Sydney Harbour who own businesses and a dozen investment properties can qualify for the NDIS. I had a lovely, very young, and in my mind quite vulnerable support worker tell me that the private provider she works for asked her to provide MH support via the NDIS for male convicted child sex offenders. Convicted child sex offenders can access the NDIS and yet I am made to feel like a fraud.

There's something terribly wrong with the system. 

Cheers

Corny.

I wish I could say more but I can’t but you do have every right to go to your local federal member and “enlighten” them @Corny 

Thanks @Eve7 , yes I do. But where the Gov wins, and how people become homeless is that the very illness itself depletes our energy and we have no fight left in us. When you're very unwell you can't leave your apartment, and not everyone has an advocate. 

Even my NDIS Planner from the very beginning said to me on the phone after I said that I didn't want to work with a particular person, that they had no formal education or understanding of psychosocial disability.....what on earth am I supposed to say to that. 

I'll do my best to advocate for myself and for other people with disabilities. 

Cheers,

Corny

Hi @Corny anxiety and anger about this seems justified. I have bitterness about my low status in society in general. Your observation about means testing is so apt, wish they would do that. I have found anything like this, disability pension reviews, NDIS, a rollercoaster of anxiety, anger. Great relief when they do go well. Hoping for a good outcome for you.

NDIS is funded by the Australian taxpayers not the government @Corny 

Remind them of that!!

Hi Corny
I hope that you are starting to feel better soon, it's disappointing to see people suffering from PTSD are treated especially those who've been in war zones.
Thanks again for your honesty I hope that you don't get too upset by politicians behavior or those who are supposed to help those suffering from anything it's negligence and despicable behavior. Try and keep your head up, there's many of us who understand what you're going through. Take care of yourself first. Breathe that's a joke I'm sure you learned to do that a long time ago lovely. You're stronger than you realize you are an insinspiration to your freinds. MichMichelle x

Seriously sex offenders can get ndis wow
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance