Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Jaz4
Casual Contributor

Loneliness, isolation and relationships during COVID-19

Hi all

It's been a while since I posted (a couple of years). I'm happy to say that I finally feel like I'm on the road to recovery after a lifelong battle with anxiety. Firstly, I wanted to offer this message of hope - hard work and finding the right combination of things that help you manage your symptoms can lead to massive improvements. It takes time, be patient and kind to yourself. Sometimes it takes a few steps back to take leaps forward.

Overall I've been consistently doing well, suprisingly my anxiety and OCD haven't gotten worse during the pandemic and I think I owe that to all the skills and strategies I've build over time. However, I've been starting to struggle a bit in the last week or so with feelings of loneliness, sadness and grief. I suppose it's what's influenced me to write on here and book in with my psychologist - getting on top of things and finding ways to support my mental health early.

I ended a relationship a few months ago and I've found out they've moved with another relationship already with someone that I was friends with. I suppose it's creating feelings of insecurity, self doubt, and making the feelings of loneliness during physical isolation worse. The fact that we can't go out and meet new people and form new connections, and I can't do the things out in the world that I'd normally do to help cope with relationship breakdowns makes things even harder. 

Overall I'm confident that I have the tools to get through this but it would be great to connect with anyone who might be feeling similar or facing similar situations. 

Thanks for taking the time to read 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Loneliness, isolation and relationships during COVID-19

Hi @Jaz4  it is great to read about a success story and know that with hard work, commitment and determination it can happen. So thank you for sharing that today. 
I think we all can relate to your feelings of loneliness and sadness during the situation we are all in with COVID. It definitely doesn't help with our MH.  Great to hear you have taken the step to connect with your psychologists. 
I can also relate to your relationship concern. My marriage ended almost 2 years ago now and only a couple of months into the separation he started a relationship with one of our friends. 
so keep up the good work Jaz. Welcome back

Hi @Jaz4 

I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel as strong as you had been feeling. A relationship breakup can knock anyone about, but to learn that they had already moved on and with a friend must hurt. Smiley Sad

I am feeling the loneliness very much more than I was before coronavirus restrictions. I was getting used to doing things on my own, going to the movies or shopping or a cuppa in a Cafe, but none of those things are "do-able" now. Besides the cabin fever, I can relate to not being able to get out and about to alleviate feelings of stress, anxiety and depression but most of all loneliness.

I have no family, children, friends, partner, co-workers or pets. It is so hard. Noone to call or email or text etc. Noone to share my day or theirs. So if you do have any of the above, cherish those friendships/ relationships and use this time to enhance those relationships through (as they suggest seemingly everywhere) phone calls, video calls, etc. You could make those bonds stronger. I guess I am saying, focus on the assets that you do have, rather than what you don't. I know that all sounds easier than it actually is, but I am trying to be positive (about my own situation too). I am trying to keep busy, but also making time to sit with and feel the grief that I am going through. It's not going to go away if I just keep running away with distractions all the time, but I don't have to focus on the sadness all the time and distractions are good for the rest of the time. I am trying to learn new skills through free online courses etc. Attempting new hobbies and interests from learning to draw to knitting. Take care and be kind to yourself. It is completely understandable to be grieving and lonely at the moment. kind regards SpiderLady.

Hi @Jaz4,

Great to hear that you have been managing your anxiety.

In regards to the relationship break up, I can totally relate. Not with the person moving on with a friend of yours though, that must be so hard.

It's awesome you know you have the confidence and strength to get through it!

I'm up for a chat anytime you feel like it.

😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance