Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

oneteaspoon
Contributor

I need your help with a no visitor policy in hospitals

I need your help with a no visitor policy in hospitals

My mum, whom I'm her legal full time carer for) was taken by ambulance to the emergency department for the second time in a few weeks. She is currently in a private hospital that has a strict no visitor policy unless you are in palliative care or if you are a maternity patient. maternity patients can have one visitor per day with NO time limits. 

I wouldn't be as fired up as I am if it was a plain blanket ban on visitors but saying maternity is superior than everyone else is just prejudice. Maternity patients usually come home with life where as most of the other patients are there because they are sick & if they aren’t treated could die. What makes maternity patients more superior?

I am extremely concerned for my mother's welfare in hospital as her visit a few weeks ago nearly cost her her life when she starts getting low blood pressure the nurse/s Decided to take my mum off her three heart medications when only one of them is prescribed for blood pressure. By the time I was allowed to visit her the first thing I noticed when I entered her room was that her feet with the size of balloons from fluid and she wasn't following her fluid restriction as she has kidney failure as well as heart failure. She went three days without any of her heart medications. 

I then asked my mum about her morning and what she had eaten etc and as she is telling me this I'm counting the fluids that she is in taking as she has kidney failure and it wasn't even lunchtime yet and she had already consumed double her daily fluid restriction amount. 

The hospital failed to give her a prescribed powder that she takes to reduce bowel urgency. As it takes some time for it to build up in your system and for the full effects of the medication to occur. Because the hospital did not give this to her, despite me constantly asking for it and why my mum hasn't received it yet, By the time she came home she had by the time she came home she had 2 accidents which were no fault of her own. 

The emergency doctor did not write down all the medications on the list I provided the paramedics. It was for her cholesterol lowering medication which in the scheme of things isn't really that much of a big deal short-term however with all of the above occurring with in 4 Days of her arriving at the hospital.

One of the doctors who saw my mum in hospital wrote down her thyroid medication as 200 mg instead of 100 mg. If it wasn't for mum picking up the fact that the pill that she was given was considerably larger than the one that she normally takes who knows what may have happened.

Now to the current admission into hospital, I thought I had taken yet again all the measures possible to ensure that everyone knows exactly what medications my mum takes, their frequency and dosage, a list of her current medical conditions and allergies. Knowing that a drip would most likely need to be inserted I verbally warned the paramedics and the doctor in the emergency department that she was right-handed and to avoid inserting it into her hands because her skin is severely weak, I also made note of this on the paperwork I handed the paramedics. When I spoke to my mum this morning she informed me that they put the drip into her right arm and because of the location they put it in every time she moves it beeps with a loud sounding alarm.

She also has difficulty, weakness and pain, using her left hand because of her sixth bout of shingles a month ago caused sever postherpetic neuralgia down her left arm and hand. 

There are a lot of things my mum needs doing for her that I can't see the nurses doing. Like she needs to do her foot exercises Once a day to help with her mobility and balance, she needs her legs massaged multiple times a day to help with circulation as she is a diabetic and Associated neuropathy alongside having a history of blood clots. Not to mention mum needs her toenails cut and filed regularly as they turn into ingrown, she also needs to see her podiatrist because she has three cones on her foot that she regularly has shaved off that are causing her severe pain when she is weight-bearing. 

I really want to know what else could I have done or do for the future to avoid any of this happening again. I thought by printing out a list of her medications, dosage and frequency, and a list of her current & past medical history. The Paramedics on both occasions took Mum's entire tray of medications so if the hospital has an issue with identifying whether my mum really has these medications or we are just saying she takes them it would be all there on the boxes and on the list they could call her pharmacist, they could call her regular doctor, they could've called ME! to clarify.

I heard online that carers can be given an exemption to visit a patient in hospital but I'm unable to find any documentation online that states this. Is anyone able to assist me in finding the relevant webpages. I am awaiting a phone call from the chief executive at the hospital however I have been awaiting that phone call since I first lodged a complaint on 29 June.  

11 REPLIES 11

Re: I need your help with a no visitor policy in hospitals

Hi @oneteaspoon 

Most hospitals have exceptions for "essential caregivers" or for special circumstances I would be asserting this such as in the screenshot taken from a hospital website. I would be asserting this. There is also  often something on the hospital website that talks about involvement of a support person in care.

Additionally the websites of hospitals it talks about involvement in care and having a support person (see second screenshot), is your Mum able to speak up and say that she needs you to be there?

I would also not be waiting for a return call if it has not been forthcoming in a reasonable time and would a) ring to make an appointment or enquire as to when a return call can be expected and b) follow up in writing (being polite but firm).  

When complaining it is important to have in mind what outcome you want to happen as a result of your actions rather than just saying "I don't want this to happen to other patients".  Finding out what went wrong and importantly what can be done to avoid future error.   Remaining polite, respectful but assertive is difficult but gets you further in the long run.  

Screenshot_20200720-064149.png

Screenshot_20200720-070648.png

thank you for tour reply. I will have a good look at the hospitals website and phone to request an appointment with someone of power. 

mum would ask if I can visit but she doesn't have the energy to speak up and question why. 

she may not come out of hospital alive and I am her only family shouldn't I be allowed to

visit so I know what is going on and to be able to provide her with the care she needs when she comes home. 

I just got a phone call from the hospital and they spoke to the executive who said that they are just following the advice from the Department of health that states no visitors yet maternity are allowed to have one visitor a day with no time limit. And she said their decision stands. So I will be sending in a security camera with my mums next package and she can plug it in and I'll be watching them I don't care what the laws are

I have medical power of attorney an am allowed visit my dad but he is pallative

I'm very sorry to hear what's happening with your father

I have medical power-of-attorney to however my mum is currently not classed as palliative care even though she could suffer cardiac arrest at any moment and die and a phone call from the hospital will be too late

Is your Mum in hospital for a specific reason?

Could you manage to care for her yourself at home, with extra support? That might be an option for you.

Yes went was originally in hospital for a chest infection and this time has gone in because if breathing difficulties and what seems to be an issue with her heart. She also needs to go to rehab afterwards so it could be at least a few weeks before I could see her. 

Ask that the Drs call you on every visit 

whilst there. 

cares can only go if they need help feeding etc 

or pallative 

Hi @oneteaspoon , I can understand how frustrated and worried you must be feeling. Similar experiences with my mum (not in Covid times though), and I found the hospital very difficult to try to get mum the care she needed. I wonder if the hospital where your mum is have a staff member like a Social Worker who could also listen to your concerns about your mum and maybe offer some suggestions. Do the hospital offer any communication with family using Face Time etc so that you could see your mum and she would see you also? It doesn't solve the problem of communication with staff and you still can't do the things that you usually do to help her, but would it reassure your mum to see you and hear your voice. You have done such a thorough job investigating all you options at such a difficult time. I hope you can find some solutions to being able to visit your mum.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance