Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Eden1919
Senior Contributor

How can I communicate when I can’t talk?

I am not sure how to talk to my psychiatrist they are supposed to contact by phone but I am struggling to physically talk and I can’t give them a note that I have written which is what I would normally do when I can’t talk they have already been not listening to me and things are getting really really really bad and I am not sure I will be able to manage for much longer but I am seriously struggling talking and I am not even sure I will be able to answer the phone to begin with but I don’t know how to communicate when I can’t talk and I can’t see them in person and it is all over the phone. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: How can I communicate when I can’t talk?

I have the same problem and finding the changes to everything so impossible. I wish i had an answer for you. i go mute and just find myself disappearing when im overwhelmed and having to try to find words that just wont come out of my mouth.

Is it possible for you to text, send a photo of your note or email?

I also struggle with communicating verbally when stressed. I try to send an email to my therapist prior to the session with things I want to say. And when I get frozen and can't answer questions during a session I email afterwards to let them know my response. Not all therapists will accept emails, but if you explain why, hopefully they will work with you to find a solution that works for you. Maybe something like Skype where you can supplement speaking with written chat messages? 

Hi Eden1919.

I understand your problem very well. It is easier to write a note to explain the situation,  though I use free prose poetry to get across what I cannot say. My mental health team do not accept emails or texts,  in fact will not give that information out, so unsure if yours do, but this could be an avenue for you use if they do allow it.

Everything is changed and having appointments over the phone just doesn't work for some people,  and I get that.  

The way I get around it is to draw or doodle when I am on the phone.  This means that I am not having to think about what I am saying. I just say it as it comes. It might help you.

I hope you find a way for them to understand that works for you.

@Eden1919I think I understand what you mean. I am way better at expressing myself via writing then I am via impromptu talking.

Is it possible for you to write out what you want to say in a document, and then just read that document off over the phone like a script?

I'm not saying it will solve your difficulties, but it might make thing easier?

@Millieme @CrazyChick @Moochmouse @chibam  thank you all and sorry I am replying so late. I can’t contact them via Skype we had tried that but they swapped to phone and email is not really an option. Writing stuff down to read also isn’t really useful because it is the physical act of speaking that I am finding difficult. I will try drawing on a note pad while talking next time to see if it is distracting enough to let me speak but not too much that I can’t focus at all. 

Hi Eden1919

No need to apologise for late reply. I hope that drawing/doodling on a notepad works for you. These times are hard for people who normally find it difficult to talk. I sympathize with the problem you are having, and really hope that you are able to find a way to make it work for you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance