Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Mel1
Casual Contributor

Helping a family member with schizophreina

Hi everyone I've just signed up and would love to get any advice possible. My brother has been living with Schizophreina for around the last two years. About three weeks ago he has been back in hospital as he recognised himself that the voices had returned. He appears to have gone back in time around two years and has become very angry towards my parents, to whom he lives with.
He has just checked himself out of hospital. I just wonder how everyone helps their loved one especially when the hospital provides the families with little advise?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Helping a family member with schizophreina

welcome @Mel1
enter schizophrenia into the above search bar to review previous forum posts on this topic. feel free to chat to members, and grab their attention by using the @symbol before their name.
Also check out Sane's fact sheets on the web site, which gives some basics for family members coping with caring with a loved one with MI.
There is a wealth of knowledge here on the forums. I welcome others to respond, and for you to ask the questions you need answered.

Welcome to the Forum @Mel1 Smiley Happy

I agreed with @-karma- that you'd be able to find some information and support here by searching some particular words.

Other words you can consider to try are `family', `hospital' and `treating team'. I just tried and there were some nice discussions came up. I hope you'd be able to find some connections here to support your family situation.

Look after yourself too Smiley Happy

Take care,

Sky

Thanks @-karma and @sky.
I have started looking at your suggestions.
It's such a frustrating thing to watch.
As my brother is an adult it doesn't appear we can do anything unless he agrees.
He decided today he is moving interstate and he has no friends or family there.
If he does in fact go I really don't know what's going to happen.
Thanks for your messages.

Hi @Mel1 

Thought I'd just pop you this line and see how things are going?

Hobbit

Hi @hobbit,
I've been in touch with a few organisations who have provided advice and have also directed me to the Sane website.
I'm going to visit my family this weekend. Hopefully we can take everyone's advice and do what we can.
Thanks for the message.

It can be so lonely and isolating as a Carer, especially when you are looking after someone you love and they push away all help.

I have gone through this many times with the person I love and Care for, however at times it can be some what difficult to keep being support and carring for them.

What I have always found helpful is chatting with other carers at support groups or forums like this one

joining Carer organisations like Mental illness fellowships and Carers organisations where you can acess support, respite, educational programs, advice advocy and referral help 

AND 

going to carer events with these organisations which are normally a really nice break from everything (Last year I was able to book into a free dinner cruise around our habour and also meet some wonderful carers at a lovely morning tea at our botanical gardens) Just that time to myself has really helped and I have gained so much more knowledge from the other Carers I have met.

There is some amazing help out there for Carers durring crisis and after, you and your parents need to call a Carer or mental health fellowship with in your local area.

Good luck!!!!

Hi @Mel1

I just wanted to let you know that this Tuesday (26 May) we will be running a Topic Tuesday session about psychosis. I thought you might want to hear what other carers and people with lived experience have to say about their experiences, and also contirbute your thoughts too, if you feel comfortable.

You can find the discussion here if you're interested.

It starts at 7pm AEST Tuesday 26 May.

Hope to 'see' you there.

Nik

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance